cream ale too much boil off and high o.g.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
I just got finished making a Cream of Three Crops cream ale. I made a few mistakes along the way... Mashing at low temp..147 - 149 F.... thin mash b/c I was trying to bring mash temp up... I didn't strain my wort from brew pot with my usual copper scrubbies and that's it.

I know these wont affect the brew too much, but at the end of it all I ended up with 4 gallons or wort instead of 5 gallons. My O. G. is high 1.072 and I want about 1.050. Can I add some boiled water to correct my O. G.? And how much?

I guess my efficiency was ok.... I just boiled off to much

Grain
5.75 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs corn
1.0 instant rice

Mashed
147 -149 90 minutes

Boiled
6.0 gal Wort for 90 mins.

Hops
Fuggles 1 oz. 90 min
Willamette .5 oz. 30 min

Thanks.

I just got finished making a Cream of Three Crops cream ale. I made a few mistakes along the way... Mashing at low temp..147 - 149 F.... thin mash b/c I was trying to bring mash temp up... I didn't strain my wort from brew pot with my usual copper scrubbies and that's it.

I know these wont affect the brew too much, but at the end of it all I ended up with 4 gallons or wort instead of 5 gallons. My O. G. is high 1.072 and I want about 1.050. Can I add some boiled water to correct my O. G.? And how much?

I guess my efficiency was ok.... I just boiled off to much

Grain
5.75 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs corn
1.0 instant rice

Mashed
147 -149 90 minutes

Boiled
6.0 gal Wort for 90 mins.

Hops
Fuggles 1 oz. 90 min
Willamette .5 oz. 30 min

Thanks.

I would add 1gallon of boiled and then cooled water, take another gravity reading and if needed add another .5 gallon but i wouldn't go too much more than that.

Thanks for the help!

I'll just add that gallon and breath a sigh of relief. I just started trying to use brewing software... but I always seem to boil off too mush

What program are you using? In BeerSmith and the program I use on my iphone (blanking on the name right now), you can adjust the boil off rate in your software to match your real world practice.

Thanks for the help!

I'll just add that gallon and breath a sigh of relief. I just started trying to use brewing software... but I always seem to boil off too mush

Thanks for the replies. I used boiled water after letting it cool. My O.G. came back into style. Thanks.

I'm using BeerSmith. I admit, I've run into some confusion while setting it up. I'm still learning. :)

Latest posts

Back