Cream Ale Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I tried a cream ale I brewed up yesterday and was taken aback by how much it tasted like a Coors to me. SWMBO said it was a little better but still similar enough.

I mostly was curious but also figured it might be good to have a trick up my sleeve if/when I had someone who only wants BMC, which I apparently did, but wanted something more of a bridge between that and something like a blonde, something that helped usher them into other beer.

This is the 5.25 gal partial mash/partial boil I did:

3 lbs 6-row
3 lbs ultralight LME (FO)
2 lbs flaked corn
1/2 lb carafoam
1 oz Liberty (4.6%) @ 70 mins
1/2 oz Liberty @ 21 mins
1/4 oz Liberty @ 7 mins w/ Whirlflock
Rice hulls
US-05

1.049/1.010
5.1% ABV + 0.2% for priming sugar
21 IBUs (figured top off water would bring this down to about 19)
3 SRM

My efficiency was high as I had an OG of 1.053 giving me an overall ABV of about 5.8%!

I don't really notice any hop flavor at all, which is like just a bit of. I think I'd potentially boost the flavor addition just a bit.

Would using Pilsner LME have been out of character?

The cream ale definitely is a good beer for those who are bmc drinkers. I'm not sure if those things are out of style but does it matter if your brewing a session beer that you like? I recently just tried my 2 cream ales and they are very good at only a week in the bottle.

In general I like to try to stay within style bounds except for my IPAs which break the 70 IBU threshold.

I'm also struggling with my jalapeño blonde as it tasted better when it was a bastard cream ale using Pilsner LME. I can't seem to find anything difinitive on whether or not I can use it. I like my Smokin' Hot Blonde name too much to alter it. I'm considering trying some honey.

I've had some cream ales that were spectacular..others that were bland and reminded me of an American adjunct lager. It's all about the mouthfeel. I find it to be a weird style..but it can be very good and refreshing.

Cream ales can be tricky because they're one of those styles that leave nothing to hide behind, so any flaws in the brewing process will be easy to pick out.

I prefer the ones that have a little bit of hop flavor. I wouldn't have thought pilsner DME would be unusual, but I took another look at the style guidelines and they say only 6-row (and possibly some 2-row).

blah, i loathe the fact that my initials are BMC...

but <2oz of liberty isnt going to give much hop character no matter what you really do with it. Personally, i dont find cream ales interesting enough to justify me going through the trouble of brewing one. Especially if I want to try lagering it. Id rather do like a bock or even a kolsch. I do like white labs cream ale yeast blend though for light crisp ales

@mrgrimm: By that do you mean something along the lines of a higher mash temp to balance the thinning by the adjuncts? I hadn't considered that, which I find interesting.

@drainbamage: I was hoping for some hop flavor, something you don't generally find in a typical American lager. I knew a cream ale would be a bit similar so I wanted a touch of hop flavor to stand out. And maybe it was there but muffled by the cigar I was smoking. I certainly have more!

@m00ps: I find it a bit odd that I felt the need to brew it. I'm not too fond of milder beers (wheats and blondes) in general unless there's something unique (honey wheat or hoppy wheat like 80 Acre).

But I can see the relevance such as those who just don't like anything but their BMC.

Rice wasn't stated in the BJCP description. Any reason why it couldn't be used instead of flaked corn and be proper?

I think you could use rice. Corn is just the traditional adjunct since its CHEAPEST to use over here. Unless you are wantiong to enter it into a competition, id go ahead

Rice wasn't stated in the BJCP description. Any reason why it couldn't be used instead of flaked corn and be proper?

I thought you didn't want it to be like Coors Light? ;)

At any rate, it will still lighten the body. As long as you aren't trying to be a super stickler for BJCP guidelines, who cares?

Liberty is a mild hallertau-esque like hop. 1/4 oz at 7 min is nothing. Id use 2 oz over the last 10. Especially if you low sulfate water, which is ideal for this.

Historically cream ales are just pale lagers made with an ale yeast by old ale breweries. Which is why they are popular with the homebrew crowd as well. while historically they used 6 row and a ton of adjuncts and 6 row, you can dial back the crappiness of that and still be in the spirit of the thing. Feel free to use pils malt instead. Feel free to use a bit more hops, but keep it noble-ish. Santiam, Sterling, mt hood, mt rainier, crystal, Liberty are all good domestic choices. Rice or corn, both are fine. 1335(fermented cool) or 029 are other yeast choices. Just keep it clean tasting and poundable.

I brewed a cream ale a couple of months ago. The flaked corn per unit was more than the 6-row at my LHBS. It was an experiment but I don't think I will bother with "cheap" adjuncts again when I can make a simple pale ale for less.

Used Perle for bittering and flavor and it came out well. If I would do it again, I might try Perle for bittering and Saaz or Liberty for flavor.

You can use fine cornmeal for the corn in a cream ale. It will gelatinize and convert at mash temps.

I personally like rice in a "macro" lager knock-off, but i LOVE that corn-y taste in a cream ale... a touch of sweet, a touch vegetal, grainy... definitely need corn in a cream ale IMO.

Second post, BUT...

If you want the "secret" taste of German beers or any "sophisticated" cream ale or Lager (like the Uber cream ale Gennessee in my book :) ) use tettnanger hops at the 15 minute mark for a hint of aroma and a spicy hoppy finish flavor to every sip.

blah, i loathe the fact that my initials are BMC...

but <2oz of liberty isnt going to give much hop character no matter what you really do with it. Personally, i dont find cream ales interesting enough to justify me going through the trouble of brewing one. Especially if I want to try lagering it. Id rather do like a bock or even a kolsch. I do like white labs cream ale yeast blend though for light crisp ales

Try using Cluster hops, and increasing the IBU's to the upper 20's or so.

For me it is the sweet corn aroma that makes it a cream ale. 70/30 malt to corn with 8 oz of carapils or flaked barley for head retention. Flaked corn is not cheaper than malt where I live. Rice will dry out the beer and add no flavor at all. Cluster hops are most traditional but Noble hops are frequently mentioned. Cream Ale, despite it's name should not be creamy but should be dry and refreshing..."lawn mowing beer". What makes it different than BMC? Ale yeast flavors and a bit of hoppy aroma. Don't be afraid to let the yeast warm up and add a bit of fruitiness. I like a 30 minute addition of Cluster hops for an IBU about 25 then finish with an ounce of your favorite Noble aroma hops or the American equivalent at flame out. Cream Ale=Summer Beer.

^^ Thanks for the suggestion of using cornmeal. I've used instant rice from the grocery in other recipes. Also, Cluster to bitter and Tettnanger for flavor sounds really good.

In general I like to try to stay within style bounds except for my IPAs which break the 70 IBU threshold.

I'm also struggling with my jalapeño blonde as it tasted better when it was a bastard cream ale using Pilsner LME. I can't seem to find anything difinitive on whether or not I can use it. I like my Smokin' Hot Blonde name too much to alter it. I'm considering trying some honey.

I did a Jalapeño cream ale and added pineapple and it was grand. I split a whole fresh one between two 5 gal fermenters but in hind sight a whole one in each would have been better.

Wait, did I read this wrong? It happens... I drink a lot :)

Flaked corn won't do much unless you mash it with a base grain.

Sub 2 pounds of milled 2-row for a pound of DME in your recipe, and steep it in your water at ~ 156+ degrees with that flaked corn, and you will have a whole different (and I think BETTER) cream ale.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back