Crazy vent action...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Coaster

Reaction score
I put a Baron's Cerveza & Redwood Ale into primary 3 weeks ago and within hours I got a lot of vent activity, 2 days later it was quiet. I am now 3 weeks past that and I wanted to put them in secondary, the Cerveza I believe is infected as it has a scummy film on top. I tranferred it anyway and as I was transferring I started to get yeast bubbling to the top.

My Redwood Ale though has started bubbling again and I am getting continuous action in the vent. I don't get it, should I wait it out or go to secondary?
The Redwood uses Sterling Ale Yeast 514 (12g) and there are Cascade hops (15g) in it.

I wish I knew back when I brewed this about Cascade Hops as I would have thrown them out. I just spent 2 weeks drinking grapefruity tasting beer and it does not appeal to me in the slightest :mad:

You may be just seeing the off gassing of suspended carbon dioxide from transferring your batch.

The only way to know is take gravity readings and verify that the fermentation is completed.

Back