Crazy question here, just sayin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNurse

Reaction score
Ok I am wanting to brew indoors. Like under the roof, in my house, with electric, and luck, then experience, the. Amazing beer! I am not sure what all I need. I would like to have a system then is stationary, almost a decoration in the house, but is a functioning brewery. I want to eventually keg my beers so I can have a bar. So I can hang out, with fiends, and drink. Beer. Just I have been looking nd I thing a single teir/level stand. I need help on pumps and all that jazz. I am an idiot here, but I can/do learn quick.

Best opportunity to learn quickly: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

If you read and understand that, you will have the basic concepts you need to undertake a build, even if you choose to do things a bit differently.

Seconded! It's an incredible resource. Even if you end up going with a different design, going there is (in my opinion) the best place for learning the basics and understanding all that's required. They have a bunch of top-notch products for sale too if you aren't the DIY type.

That system is the Cadillac of systems (you can get buy with a much less expensive setup), but if you're looking for some bling and a decoration for the house, that's absolutely where you should start.

Whether you're planning to build or buy read the electricity primer that's sticky-ed at the top. And start thinking GFCI and ventilation. Can't go wrong with the electric brewery.

Um, no. I am thinking ss brewing tech looks like a good mix of quality and features and cost. Is there something else comparable to them? Like I said 5 gallon batches is what I am shooting for. Also is there one way better than another for the fermentation as far as vessel selection goes? Plastic or glass carboy, ss pots? Conical plastic vs ss?

Buy big or buy twice.
You might want to "only brew 5 gallons" today, but in a year, you and your buddy might be wanting to split 10gal or even larger batches.

I brew inside using a control panel I built following instructions I purchased from theelectricbrewery.com and I sourced all of the parts individually. I had experience with power tools and soldering so it was pretty easy to take it one step at a time. My kettles are built from modified full-size beer kegs and a large plastic barrel for a mash tun. I bought two March pumps and installed a vent fan and 6" duct through the exterior wall of my house to push out the significant amount of steam that results from boiling 10 gal of liquid for over an hour.

There is no limit to how much you can spend on brewing equipment/process and no matter what you intend to spend, you WILL go over budget. That said, if you have an idea of how much you are comfortable spending, you can use that as a baseline to consider different options such as gravity instead of pumps, heat stick instead of control panel, etc.

The main purpose of conical fermenters is collecting the hibernating yeast at the bottom, to re-use it in the next batch--that and being able to pull off clean beer without getting all the trub and whatnot. I use glass 'Big Mouth Bubblers" with safety harnesses because they are amazing to clean and they fit nicely in my fermenting deep freeze. They cost about $40 each, whereas a stainless steel conical will run you over $300 and likely closer to $500+ You can easily spend over $1,000 on a high-end conical with all the whistles and bells (temp control, etc). On the cheaper end, you can ferment in buckets for under $10. It's all a matter of priority and budget.

*shrug* Keep reading around these forums--particularly the beginner's forum, and you will find many different options.

Also is there one way better than another for the fermentation as far as vessel selection goes? Plastic or glass carboy, ss pots? Conical plastic vs ss?

Have you brewed before? Plastic all the way, they wont kill you.

I am still a propane, biab, no chill, drain to plastic at 190F, pitch next day, ferment in the same plastic vessel brewer. I will eventually go to e-biab, but have no intention of changing anything else. It's all personal preference, as my finished product compares favorably to anyone else's. :)

Latest posts

Back