crazy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernube

Reaction score
Holy beer explosions. ...
barely 10 hours after placing Belgian wit into primary, my blow off was doing it's best impression of Moby Dick. I ended up cleaning beer off the walls and ceiling at 3 A.M.
After cleaning and sanitizing everything, blow off is re installed. BUT.. there is no foam on top of wort but is bubbling every few seconds.
So here are my questions. ..
did I trash 5 gallons of beer?
How big is the chance of contamination?
Can I still leave in primary for 4 weeks and be safe?

Thanks in advance.

Answers... No, minimal, and yes.

You'll be fine. That strong of a fermentation created 100% CO2 environment inside your fermenter. Clean up the mess and keep your fermenter closed and all is well.

Happy Brewing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Your beer will be fine and yes you can and should leave it in the primary for 3 or 4 weeks but next time take pictures for the sake of the community;)

Thanks for the support guys.
The only thing I ask is that one of you guys help me clean up the explosion... anyone?
anyone? DAMN...

Ok, since my last post I have moved Belgian Wit to a secondary. I know...I know... but I needed primary for another batch.
Since the explosion, I have been able to maintain better temperature control due to water bath and ice when needed.
So hers is the question / statement...
I have not seen any airlock activity for quite some time. (Even before moving)
What are my chances that I won't have a banana flavored 0% alcohol mess?

Every Belgian Wit I have brewed had a pretty wild fermentation, one coming close to blowing the top off like you describe but I caught it just in time and removed the lid. They all fermented out nicely.

Check you gravity and see where it is, but I'm guessing you will be fine. There's no way you have a 0% beer, it's not possible, but you may have some banana flavor. It comes more from the temperature of fermentation, and I get it much more from hef yeast, but I actually really enjoy that flavor.

I wouldn't worry about it, just bottle or keg it as long as fermentation is done and carb it up. There's no reason to leave a hef in secondary, just enjoy it in a few weeks!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was being a little tough in cheek about the 0%. I have been struggling with fermentation temperature until reading posts on this site.
As I stated I am now using a water bath with a dish towel wrapped around carboy. If temperature is still being stubborn, I will also use a fan to blow on the entire liquid goodness. Living in south Texas it is crazy hot and it is really difficult to not have EVERY brew come out at least a little fruity tasting.

Learning from all my mistakes.
At least that's what I keep telling myself.

If you're doing 5 gallon batches, the best upgrade you can do at this point would be to get a mini fridge that will fit a bucket/carboy and a temp controller. I live in California with moderate temperatures and even here (72 today in mid June) this was the single best thing I ever did for the quality and consistency of my beer. You can likely find one on craigslist for a few bucks or even free, and just get a cheap temp controller like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYXZPA4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back