Crazy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiff2268

Reaction score
Saturday I mixed up a five gallon batch of ail. Simple recipe: LME, 1.5 lbs of grain, etc. Anyway, I pitched the yeast (dry) and six hours later it was bubbling like crazy. Foam was coming up through the blow off tube, and I probably lost 1/2 gal. of brew. Now, on Monday, it's bubbling like it's already been sitting there for a week. Did I do something wrong, or does this kind of thing just happen sometimes?

Could be possible, although I did use my chiller. Is this gonna ruin my final product?

Was it hot outside? If it's hot summer, you can't cool much less than 25 C using tap water... That is TOO hot to start fermentation...

Do you use anything to check fermentation temps and to bring it down during primary active fermentation? and I do mean the temperature of the wort inside the fermenter.

I think the two biggest concerns you'll have at this point are, if the fermentation temperature was too high, as others have mentioned, you might get some off-flavors. Another concern with loosing so much through your blow-off, from what I've heard, is that you might have lost a decent amount of the healthiest yeast, causing fermentation to stall out before you reach your desired FG.

Wide open I can cool my wort down to 54°, even in the summer. One of the benefits of living in Alaska!

atreid said:
Was it hot outside? If it's hot summer, you can't cool much less than 25 C using tap water... That is TOO hot to start fermentation...

Initial fermentation can be quite vigorous, especially when exposed to warmer temperatures. There won't be anything you can do now other than wait it out. I would recommend doing an extended primary to try to let the beer clean itself up, however there's no guarantee. What size of fermenter are you using? For a 5.25 gallon batch I primary in 6 gallon carboy to provide more headspace for fermentation. If you don't already have the ability, Temperature control can also help to control fermentation as well.

Give it time, be patient, and start working on your next batch!

spiff2268 said:
Saturday I mixed up a five gallon batch of ail. Simple recipe: LME, 1.5 lbs of grain, etc. Anyway, I pitched the yeast (dry) and six hours later it was bubbling like crazy. Foam was coming up through the blow off tube, and I probably lost 1/2 gal. of brew. Now, on Monday, it's bubbling like it's already been sitting there for a week. Did I do something wrong, or does this kind of thing just happen sometimes?

Wide open I can cool my wort down to 54°, even in the summer. One of the benefits of living in Alaska!

lol ok then that's nice about the tap water... ;-)

If you didn't measure temperature within the fermenter during the most active phase, what would have been the temperature of the room where the fermenter was during this phase?

lol ok then that's nice about the tap water... ;-)

If you didn't measure temperature within the fermenter during the most active phase, what would have been the temperature of the room where the fermenter was during this phase?
The room I ferment in is about 68-70. Might get up to 71 at times. I also use a 5 gal. carboy that has maybe an extra 1/2 gal. space in the neck. If most of the healthy yeast got bubbled off should I pitch another pack?

Also, I'll make darn sure to monitor my temp. next time around.

The kind of yeast can affect this too. For example, my Russian imperial stout and heferweisen used very active yeast which required blowoff while others just bubble slowly.

I wouldn't repitch. Just give it time. It will be beer no matter what. I agree that is is best to start another batch asap. LOL.

Agreed, there is no reason to pitch more yeast. For future brews look to control the temperature of the wort during fermentation. Research swamp coolers. Most ale yeast give the best results in the low to mid sixties. Often even with low temperatures the krausen will blow off. I suggest starting every fermentation with a blow off tube installed. Some day it will save you from cleaning krausen off the ceiling.

Back