Crash Cool For Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyWeiser

Reaction score
The beer in my primary has had stable hydrometer readings over the last two days, and some of the yeast has settled down to the bottom.

However, there must still be a lot of yeast in suspension as the beer is very cloudy. I recently read on the forums about crash cooling the beer before it gets kegged to help settle out the yeast and clear up the beer. I do not have a keg and will be bottling and priming with corn sugar.

If I crash cool the beer before bottling, then will there be any/enough yeast to carbonate the bottles? Or is crash cooling for kegging/force carbonating only?

Yes. A lot of people do it this way. Just make sure you have the bottles at 70* and wait the requesite 3-weeks for proper carb.

The search function on this forum must be down again...

You can cold crash to your hearts content for months on end and there will be enough yeast left in suspension for bottling. (maybe not months)

I've used the crash cooling method and then carbonated my beer in bottles with no issues.

I do currently have a barleywine that I crash cooled that's been bottle conditioning for 2.5 months and isn't completly carbonated yet. I don't see any yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle which has me a little concerned, but I think it will be ok in a few weeks. Something to think about depending on the gravity of your beer. I think next time I make a high gravity, I'll add a clean yeast just for bottle conditioning.

Thank you for the great help everyone!

And oops on the search... :eek: Won't happen again. Thanks!

Back