Crap is this an infection starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evancold

Reaction score
I transferred my dunkel to secondary 4 days ago at that time it looked and tasted great. Today I notice a thin layer appearing on the top and white fragments forming on the sides at the beer line. Is this batch done?

img20130326003208.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I had something just like that in a batch a couple months ago. It turned into a jelly-like thin layer that floated on top of the beer. When I poked it, it stuck to my siphon and could be pulled off, but it was BAD. Totally sour. I had to dump it, it wasn't good for anything. Having said that, there is nothing you can do. So, wait until its time to rack and then taste it. That's the only thing you can do at this point.

looks like white film mold to me. if it is your beer should taste fine. you will need to disinfect everything thoroughly though.

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to pull a sample and see how it tastes. A sour dunkel sounds pretty nasty, hope I am able to save it.

Back