Cranberries in the boil???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandjeanie

Reaction score
I was going to try brewing a pumpkin ale & my wife had the idea that cranberries would be a good addition. She's wondering if we could roast them & then add them to the boil, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Any thoughts?

If you get New Belgium where you are, their Pumpkick has cranberries in it. I personally like it.

If I were to attempt this, I would throw them (washed of course) in at 10 or less minutes until the wort is cooled the rack into your fermenter.

I wouldn't roast or cook them prior to putting them in the boil. Not sure if there are any pectin concerns.

But it is your beer, so have at it and let us know how it turns out.

I make a Grand Cranberry Cru for Christmas every other year. I wash the cranberries, purée them then add them into the primary in a muslin bag. I get a great cranberry taste by doing it this way. I never thought about adding them to the boil. I'm not sure if cranberries have pectin in them, but if they do, adding them to the boil might make for a very cloudy beer.

Thanks for your advice. We decided to juice the berries & throw it in at the end of the boil. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back