Cran-Raspberry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
will a Cran Raspberry ferment? It's from OceanSpray.

I seem to recall something about Cranberrys not fermenting or something to that effect.

and it says Fumaric acid, Sodium Citrate, Citric acid, Asorbic acid which I think is okay. Just not sure about the other stuff.

Thanks in advance,

It fermented fine for me. I did a cheap table wine that was a mix of Ocean Spray cranberry juice blend (100% juice, not 100% cranberry juice) and Welches grape concentrate.

Good, but tart.

It fermented fine for me. I did a cheap table wine that was a mix of a cranberry juice blend and Welches grape concentrate.

Good, but very tart.

hmmm, okay. I guess I'll give it a shot after I get some yeast.

Now I'm just wondering where I read that cranberry wouldn't ferment. This is going to drive me crazy now.

Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing that they were saying cranberries are tough to ferment quickly because of the hard skin. If you were using actual cranberries, you'd probably want to remove the seeds and purée them first.

I also did a cranberry pLambic. But it was on the fruit for a year, so I didn't worry about puréeing them.

EDIT: there are also pH concerns when using straight cranberries because they are so acidic. Straight cranberry juice is supposedly pH = 2.3 to 2.5 pH. For wine you want pH = 3.2 – 3.8.

I use craisins and put them through the chopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I rinse/freeze fresh crans, pull them from the freeze when ready to add, run a rolling pin over 'em to "crack" 'em, and add - I typically use Knudsen cranberry juice and rack onto the thawed berries in secondary....I've made a cran-apple mead (cranberry cyser???) that came out pretty darned good. As far as cranberries actually fermenting, I think they add little to nothing (the online calculator approximates them being a lil over 4% sugar...) as far as fermentables, but definitely add color and tartness. Am contemplating a cranberry/raspberry mead in the near future, hopwfully will be drinkable by Thanksgiving 2015

Like 'fuelish', I freeze fresh cranberries, take them out to partially thaw, then crush them as best I can with a rolling pin. I then refreeze them until used. They worked well in last year's Graf- nice color, a little tartness. I liked it well enough to repeat this year.

Back