Craigslist kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mucci2k

Reaction score
I am going to look at a kegerator and was wondering if I should have them plug it into to make sure that it gets cold or should I plug it in when I get there and make sure the compressor turns on and isn't making any funny noises?

If I do go with plugging it in while there, how long will it take to feel coldness through the cooling panel in the back of the fridge?

I acquired a fridge for a ferm chamber build, didn't test it on site. When I got home it didn't do much of anything when I plugged it in as far as cooling goes. In hindsight the door was off and perhaps that door sensor has a relay to not have compressor run when the door is open. Then again thinking about it that may lead to short cycling and kill it sooner.

With caution I plugged the compressor directly into the wall and it fired up. Sigh of relief this can be saved! Coils were getting noticeably cool within 2 minutes, still with the door off. I'd recommend you test it out quickly before the final purchase. I should have, but was in a huge rush because I planned my day poorly. If the owner won't let you they've got something to hide.

mucci2k I would call them and have them plug it in before you drive over and check it, then it already has time to cool down or show signs of life.

If you turn it on when you get there, touch the compressor's lines. the high (out) pressure side will get warm pretty quickly, the low pressure one (in) will be colder. that will tell you the compressor is working. make sure the compressor doesn't get too hot to the touch, and check for buzzing or grinding noises.

Thank you for the information. I see benefits for both options.

I will probably email him and ask him to plug it in an hour or two before I get there. I think the compressor should still be running, so I can hear it, and will also have cooled down considerably.

I have looked at the kegerator and it had a top mounted compressor and the cooling coils are on the back not inside the body so I'm assuming at least 5 maybe 10 years old.

How do you transport a top mounted compressor kegerator, can it be played on Its side since the oil wouldn't be draining back down to the compressor?

You can transport it on the side. Just make sure it is upright and has been siting in an upright position at least 24 hours before you plug it in again.

:mug:

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do something crazy like turn it upside down to get the oil back into the compressor since the compressor is at the top.

This is what mine looks like.

Kenmore top compressor.jpg

Back