Could use some advice. Big citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee21889

Reaction score
So this is going to be my first batch without a premade recipe. Shooting for a high ABV citra hop bomb. Came up an a pound of citra pellets and can't reist. Let me know what you think. Any input, opinions, or advice or criticism would be appreciated.

batch size: 5 gal
boil size: 5gal
og: 1.098
fg: 1.024
abv: 9.5
Ibu: 95
srm: 6

steeping 1# each of:
American pale 2 row
American crystal 20L
wheat

golden light DME: 9#
corn sugar: 1#

60 min: 1oz magnum
45: .5oz citra
30: .5oz citra
20: 1oz citra
10: 1 oz citra
5: 1 oz citra
whirlpool: 1.5 oz citra
dry hopping: 2 oz for 7 days and 2 oz for 4 days (citra)

us-05 yeast

I'm assuming I should pitch 2 packets of yeast? I'm also a little worried about ending up with a 'boozy' taste.

I don't know if I'd consider your hop schedule a "Citra hop bomb".

Here's my hop bomb IPA schedule

30 1.5oz Magnum
20 2oz Citra
10 2oz Citra
5 2oz Citra
0 3oz Citra Hop Stand 30min

Dry hop 2oz Citra 2oz Simcoe 4-5 days

That OG is on the high end of things, you could end up with a hot beer that's fairly sweet. Personally I'd shoot for an OG of about 1.080, but that's personal preference.

I'd also do 1.5oz of magnum and not waste that Citra on the 45, 30, 20, and possibly even the 10 minute additions and whirlpool most of it.

Lower that OG to somewhere around 1.070-1.080. Personally I would also drop the wheat, and just stick to the 2-row and crystal 20l. As far as the hop schedule you said you go a whole pound of hops. I would move the 45 and the 30 minute additions to 15 and later. Increase that whrilpool hop addition also.

By my count, you still have 6.5 oz citra left after this. Now you know you cannot do anything with that 6.5 oz, so it may as well go in this batch!

The 2 row and wheat need to be mashed, a "steep" of your 3 lbs in about gallon of water at 150* for 45 min or so will do it, make sure the bag is loose so the grains are well mixed with the water. If you're not willing to do that I'd drop the wheat and 2-row and bump the extract a bit, then steep the crystal. That's a pretty big beer you're planning, if you're worried about a boozy taste I agree with the others about dropping the OG to 1.080 or so and I'd also go with those suggestions on the hop additions.

Why not just bitter with citra? I did that on my last citra forward IPA (replacing the magnum from the IIPA version) and it turned out well! Also I'd skip the mid boil additions and add some for flame out and bump up the whirlpool. I agree that the OG is a bit high, I'd drop to 1.085-1.080 range. Just my $0.02. Cheers!:mug:

Agreed with CarbonTom, might as well do a single hop with the Citra if you've got that much.

Also to echo the previous posters: I would suggest dropping the 45- and 30-min additions in favor of larger 15- through 0-min additions.

You will definitely need at least 2 yeast packs or a starter with that OG. Starters are really easy to make and half the cost of buying another pack. According to this online yeast pitch calculator, you would want 3 or 4 packs for your brew: http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Agreed with CarbonTom, might as well do a single hop with the Citra if you've got that much.

Also to echo the previous posters: I would suggest dropping the 45- and 30-min additions in favor of larger 15- through 0-min additions.

You will definitely need at least 2 yeast packs or a starter with that OG. Starters are really easy to make and half the cost of buying another pack. According to this online yeast pitch calculator, you would want 3 or 4 packs for your brew: http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

+1 for starter too! Even if you drop down to 1.080 that beer will need a jump start to get a good ferment going on.

Why not just bitter with citra? I did that on my last citra forward IPA (replacing the magnum from the IIPA version) and it turned out well! Also I'd skip the mid boil additions and add some for flame out and bump up the whirlpool. I agree that the OG is a bit high, I'd drop to 1.085-1.080 range. Just my $0.02. Cheers!:mug:

Citra is more expensive than Magnum and kind of wasted as a bittering addition. I really doubt you can tell the difference using Magnum for bittering at 60 and all late Citra additions, vs citra used for bittering also. Seems wasteful. I'd go for about half of the IBU's with Magnum at 60 and bomb all the Citra at 15 and under with a lot in a 20 minute whirlpool and a large dryhop.

Yes, Citra is more expensive than Magnum. You will spend an extra $0.50. Except that you already have the Citra that you bought in bulk, which I'm guessing makes the $/oz lower than if you went out and bought an oz of Magnum.

And anyway, the point is to make a single hop.

FYI, just did the Kern River Citra IIPA clone and added nugget at 60m and all Citra at 20m down to 0 with 2 dry hop schedules. OG was 1.070.

I brewed something similar last weekend, a little lighter on the grain bill (came out at 1.064), 1 oz bittering charge at 60 followed by 4 oz of mostly-citra (66% citra, 17% cascade, 17% amarillo) in a couple additions between 15 and 0 minutes, with a 15 minute hop stand, and the hydrometer samples are already delicious, even with the 2oz dry hop still waiting in my freezer. Move those 5.5oz of citra all into your last 15 minutes and you should have plenty for that grain bill.

Mmmmm, citra. :mug:

Latest posts

Back