Could my mix of hops cause a funky flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a continually hopped IPA, using Amarillo and Simcoe for the continuous blend (equal parts a few pellets at a time). My 60 Min. was Warrior.
I'm still learning my hops flavors, so any feed back would be helpful. :D
The beer has a very slight "funk" right at the begining, but it doesn't linger. Usually half way through a glass I don't notice it anymore, which makes me think it might be the hops I used, instead of something else.

Aside from hops, what yeast did you use and what temperature did you ferment at? Also, how fresh were the hops?

S-04 at 70 probably the culrpit. It gets a little funky at warmer temps.

The hop combo is a great combo, so that is not it.

70+ is pretty warm for s-o4 and I would certainly attribute some of the funk to that for sure!

I doubt it's the hops but could your funk be described as cat piss? many people claim that simcoe has that flavor. I love simcoe/amarillo though...

Im mixing warrior, cascade and citra for the beer im about to start...i dont know which im going to dry hop with yet, your pairing seems to be good what was your hop schedule?

Bschweer said:
Im mixing warrior, cascade and citra for the beer im about to start...i dont know which im going to dry hop with yet, your pairing seems to be good what was your hop schedule?

I did warrior at 60 min and mixed the simcoe and Amarillo dropping a few pellets every couple min.
I wound up putting my last few in at flameout

foodplusbeer said:
I doubt it's the hops but could your funk be described as cat piss? many people claim that simcoe has that flavor. I love simcoe/amarillo though...

No definitely not. Just a slight funk at the first few
Drinks. Probably the S-04 at too high ferm temp like I'm being told.

beergolf said:
S-04 at 70 probably the culrpit. It gets a little funky at warmer temps.

The hop combo is a great combo, so that is not it.

That's likely the culprit. S-04 range is as high as 75 deg. But active fermentation exceeded that I'm sure. Thanks all for your feedback.

Back