Cost per 1gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
Just wondering on average what you guys all spend on a 1gal batch..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Home Brew mobile app

Assuming just a JAOM: About $27 on 3kg honey, (6.6lbs) call it $13.50
+$1 orange
+$0.5 yeast packet
+0 well water
=$15.. Not accounting for caps or utility bill effects, haha.

Wow were are you getting honey that cheep under $2lbs

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Home Brew mobile app

You forgot the raisins.. $15.50

:)
Oops. That puts your price right on cue.
Wow were are you getting honey that cheep under $2lbs
That's 4.09 p/lb. The 13.50 is for half the container (3kg@27$).
That's probably gone up since I last bought it. Though that price is decent for local raw. Bee country though :)

That's all CAD.

For a 5 gallon batch:

$50 for 7kg local honey from an apiary
$1.50 for yeast (although last time I used a $6.50 liquid yeast from White Labs. Ended up with a stuck fermentation even with a starter. NOT IMPRESSED.)
$.50 aprox - DAP (energizer)
$.50 aprox - Yeastex (nutrient)

So 52.50/5 = $10.50/gallon.

However, I also (often) cork, so I've got the cost of corks, which is about $.10 each (25/batch) since I don't buy a ton of them. And of course the fancy foil on top...

Edit: These are Canadian prices, although the honey isn't taxed, so I think prices are very close to the US.

Yepperz that about right. I found a honey man though around my parts that sells $6 a gallon for honey. So…

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Its all relative to how much you pay for your honey and how much for nutrients etc.

I recently managed to obtain a 12.5 kg bucket of Buckwheat from Germany (it was sourced by the German dealer fro the Ukraine). Including shipping it worked out at about £3.30 per pound, which for a hard to get single varietal is quite reasonable (many would normally be £4+ when supplied in 1lb/454g jars). Yet I average from £2 to £3 per pound weight......

Locally available nutrients (tronozymol vice FermaidK and Youngs Nutrient vice DAP) etc work fine but to follow a recipe/method exactly means mail order/import costs etc.

So cost per gallon would really be more accurately stated as cost per litre (Imp gallon being 20% larger than a US gallon-all litres being the same irrespective of location)........

The its relative to your local cost of living but doesn't reflect other costs like commercially produced meads and their taxation element etc.......

At the farmets market they are charging 8$ per lbs. That's crazy.

The commercial meadery near me charges $24-$29 US for a bottle of his mead. Last I tried to calculate, I was down to about $5 a bottle in overall cost for my meager attempts.

(And I don't begrudge the guy for charging what he does for his commercial mead...it's darn good! I try to buy from him when I can in support... his success is good for all of us in my opinion!)

As has been said, it all depends on your material costs. Around here, it's tough to get any varietals other than clover & alfalfa, and those aren't exactly cheap. Anything more "exotic," like orange blossom would have to be shipped quite a ways, which in most cases, will nearly double the cost, which negates any & all savings from buying in bulk.

Such circumstances actually make 1 gallon batches more affordable for me, even though I may actually be paying a higher price for the varietal honey, I'm paying for a smaller amount and hence, less shipping. So if I make a batch with local wildflower honey, it'll cost me about $6.50; if I make a batch with pure acacia honey, it'll cost me about $24.00. Big difference, but that's what I have to work with.
Regards, GF.

Back