correct extension cord for a 2000W heat stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
I have almost all the parts I need to build it, but I just realized that the cord I was saving is probably not up to the task. It was used on a 1000w steam cleaner, so I figure that I need something stronger.

does anyone have a link to something I could use? amazon would be preferred....... under 20 bucks would be a pluss too.

Assuming 120v? what length cord? code says 12 gauge is good for 15a, 10 ga for 20a, the reason it is different from building wire is the voltage drop to the outlet, and you are adding to it with a cord. Under $20, not much more than a lamp cord.

120V, any length will do, tho a preferred length of about 25ish feet.

Hell, anyone telling me the type of wire that they used would help a lot.

sooooo, basically this thing?

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-ft-10-gauge-triple-tap-extension-cord-66495.html

anyone got a better option?

It would probably be fine for your heater, though you would be passing a bit over the rated 15A. That cord has 10ga. conductors, yet is only UL certified for 15A, due to the standard 15A, 125V plug configuration. The 10ga. conductors can carry more current. I'm assuming you are plugging this heater into a 20A, 125V outlet. If you try to operate a 2000W 120V heater on a 15A circuit, you'll pop the circuit breaker.

It would probably be fine for your heater, though you would be passing a bit over the rated 15A. That cord has 10ga. conductors, yet is only UL certified for 15A, due to the standard 15A, 125V plug configuration. The 10ga. conductors can carry more current. I'm assuming you are plugging this heater into a 20A, 125V outlet. If you try to operate a 2000W 120V heater on a 15A circuit, you'll pop the circuit breaker.

Pretty much the idea. Id prefer to do this properly the first time and doubt that Ill find what I need being given away for free somewhere. My boils tend to be very long as well, so Id prefer to not have my wires burning up from running too much current through emmn.

Just pick this up when I can, give it the chop near the end, and hook it up to my element and smother everything with JB weld and start water-proofing the whole thing.

On the Circuits, I honestly Have no idea. Almost none of the breakers in my apartment are labeled, save for 2 of emmn.

But just from day-to-day use of appliances, I've calculated that its using about 2500W of juice through the same adapter (1500 from the convection oven and 1000 from a skillet at the same time). The circuit will only trip if the microwave is turned on as well, which is to be expected.

I'm pretty much betting that it can take 2000 from the element so long as nothing else is used at the same time.

Update: Everything has been dryed and set up, and so far it looks like Ill have no issues. The wire I picked up was way too long, but that can be fixed later if/when I build a 2ed stick.

In the tests things worked out fine, the outlet didnt trip, and no issues occured besides the water boiling rather quickly.

I double checked and my breakers are set for 20 AMP's, and my wires are 10 Gauge, so I should have no issues.

my only minor issue is in how long the JB-weld will last, but it seems to work for all other folks, so I guess its a minor issue.

Its nice to finally have the upgrade. Hope that it speeds things up on brewday.

Back