Correct BJCP category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thantos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I brewed this and it came out amazing, I am going to enter this in a local contest and want to make sure I am entering it in the correct style/category. Can you all let me know what BJCP Style/Category you think this recipe falls under?

I am thinking 26D - Belgian dark strong ale?

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Belgian Wit Style- Imperial Yeast - White Out Yeast
Yeast Starter: Yes - 1.6L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.084
Final Gravity: 1.008
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 mins
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):21 days @ 68 Deg. F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):14 days @ 68 Deg. F

8 oz. Carapils malt steep for 30 minutes@ 155 in one gal of water
6 pounds of Light Dried Malt Extract @ 60 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops @ 60 minutes
2 pounds of Clover Honey @ 20 minutes
1 oz. crushed Coriander @ 5 minutes
1 oz. sweet Orange Peel @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops @ 2 minutes
Imperial Yeast - White Out Yeast

I did this as a full boil. 5 gallons plus the water used for steeping. 6 gallons total

My substitutions are in bold from the original recipe, I think the main differences are that my LHBS was out of Extra Light DME so I went with just Light DME, I used my sister in laws organic Honey (shameless plug, link below) and tried a new yeast strain/company - Imperial Yeast, White Out.

My OG came out quite a bit higher that the original post, I will do a comparison in Beer Smith to see if substituting the Light DME for the Extra LDME might be the reason or if its just the honey (my bet is the honey).

https://www.facebook.com/PhancyFarmsOrganicVegetables/

http://www.imperialyeast.com/

Unless I'm missing something, but when I punch these numbers into Brewers Friend I get SRM:5, far below the color of 12 - 22 for 26D.

6 pounds of Light Dried Malt Extract @ 60 minutes
2 pounds of Clover Honey @ 20 minutes
8 oz. Carapils malt steep for 30 minutes@ 155 in one gal of water

Unless I'm missing something, but when I punch these numbers into Brewers Friend I get SRM:5, far below the color of 12 - 22 for 26D

Here is a pic of how it turned out, nowhere near the SRM:5, I would say right around a 15 to 17?

image.jpg1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg1_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

While your numbers might be correct for the style, your yeast and spices are going to make it out of style for overall taste. A Belgian Dark Strong Ale is practically a stronger version of a dubbel, some call it a quadruple. Your yeast won't give you those same flavors and the orange peel and coriander are not typical of the style.

It's too strong for the Belgian Witbier category, which is where it would normally go with that recipe.

I would place it in the Spice/Herb/Vegetable category per BJCP guidelines.

Latest posts

Back