Corny Pressure Release - Ever see one like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I recently bought a few used corny kegs and they had previously held soda. Of course it had that strong scent so I disassembled them entirely and gave them a nice long oxy-clean soak.

Most of the scent is gone with the soak and new o-rings but the smell remains in the pressure relief valves. Instead of an o-ring to make the seal, it has a flat rubber piece. Here is a picture:
IMG_1549.jpg

All of the relief valves on KegConnection show an o-ring as seen here.

I realize that it is pretty minor to have the smell still in such an insignificant spot, but I would like to get rid of it. Has anyone seen the rubber seal like this before, and if so, were you able to find replacements?

Yes. I have 4 kegs and the relief valve looks like this on all of them. I have seen these at my LHBS. I never really thought to smell the relief valve for cleanliness. I just soak it in BBrite and then sanitize. Haven't had any issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With a little research, it looks like these are called a "Type A" relief valve.

I guess that there really shouldn't be an issue since beer would ideally not be touching this seal. I just want to be thorough lol

I was just buying kegs this morning and pricing them on various sites. Oddly enough, I came across one that may be what you have, a Type A. Check it out on Northern Brewer:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/lid-relief-valve-type-a-cornelius-challeng-v-vi.html

It is hard to tell for sure, but I bet if you contact them with your pic, they can tell you what the Type A really looks like.

I also googled Type A and found this image on Mountain Homebrew's site:
http://mountainhomebrew.com/ProductImages/homebrewingequipment/draftequipment/958.jpg

So I'm thinking it is halfway possible that I am correct.

Super late edit: I see many figured it out. I should refresh next time before posting. :eek:

I've got 12 kegs of several different manufacturers and I believe every single one has a valve like the one pictured in the first post. I didn't replace any of mine, never been a problem.

I've got 12 kegs of several different manufacturers and I believe every single one has a valve like the one pictured in the first post. I didn't replace any of mine, never been a problem.

14 here, and the same is true. All original ring-pull PRVs, no problems...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back