Corny Lid Thermowell Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_FL

Reaction score
Hello, I've been scouring the internet assuming somebody had done this before, but can't find any straightforward plans. I ferment in 10 gallon corny kegs. Currently I tape my temperature probe to the outside of my keg, covered with bubble wrap. This has still provided for large temp swings and I would like a better solution. Is there any easy way to modify my lid to support a thermowell, my idea was to replace the pressure release valve; but I can't find the thread count online. I would like to avoid anything that requires welding as I don't know how. Additionally just drilling the lid and placing a bung isn't ideal as I think then I couldn't do forced transfers out of the corny (the main reason I like fermenting in them). Any ideas? Anyone accomplished this through the pressure release valve or other means? Drilling out my lid would be fine, as long I can can still do force transfers.

Yes I was thinking the same. It looks like a decent solution if only it were longer.

Oh awesome thanks man! I am on mobile so exploring the options was tough. I think 18 might cut it, but ill definitely shoot him an email, I think 24 would be perfect.

post back what you find. I have recently been reevaluating this option. other things to consider (or that I am considering)--you could drill a big hole, for a single or double holed stopper, one for thermowell and one for airlock (as I'm currently using with my carboys). then when it comes time to transfer, replace the lid with an undrilled version. at least I have some extra lids laying around, given that I use pin lock and swapped out the lids for new manual pressure relief lids.

or, if the thermowells are the weldless type, like i have on my mash tun, I bet it would seal well enough for force transfers. but I'm also interested in the option of closed/fermentation under pressure. not sure if the weldless would hold that.

seperately, I know this has been discussed in the forums but what's ya'lls experience using a corny as a primary--yeast/trub not a problem? bend your dip tube? cut it?

I also ferment in 10 gallon batches using a firestone challenger V. After an extended lagering period I rack to two 5 gallon corny kegs. Same quantity of beer with half the work.

Drill a pilot hole in the lid and enlarge it with a step drill bit. Do NOT buy them at Harbor Freight! Been there.......done that.....you will be sorry.

Get a combination bulkhead/compression fitting from brewers hardware (https://www.brewershardware.com/WLFM14C14.html)

If you have a controller that supports a 1/4 inch thermowell, you're done. Attach the lid to your keg, lower the thermowell into the compression fitting, and tighten. Using a ferrule is not recommended. The compression fitting comes with two gaskets allowing for racking under CO2 pressure. See Pic 1.

I use a thermostar controller. It's perfect when you select the 12 inch thermowell option. (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/thermostar-dual-mode-digital-temperature-controller)

Pic 2 is 10 gallons of Bohemian Pilsner in primary, fermenting at 45 degrees in a chest freezer under control of the thermostar. Thermowell thru the lid 12 inches into the ferment.

Please note: If you have a controller with a thick probe, it will NOT fit. Probes are not thermowells.

Pic 1.JPG

Pic 2.JPG

Back