Corny kegs becoming harder to find?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gitmoe said:
Wish I could, forum rules state I'm not allowed to promote (mention) the shops name or "advertise" in any way from my personal account. Telling you the price and the shop would clearly violate the rules. Sorry...

Any chance you might be able to convince the Home Brew store you work for to advertise in the classified section of this forum, perhaps offer a group buy? For the most part those who go into business do so to make money, if this LHBS has so many kegs perhaps they would be willing to sell some over the forum. I know I would be interested so long as they are not at an inflated price, they could even impose a limit as to how many kegs are sold per person.

I don't believe it would violate forum rules to disclose where you work in your profile. Some forums require it to ensure transparency when reading certain posts. Certainly you could at least fill in your profile to indicate what town/state you reside in.

Any chance you might be able to convince the Home Brew store you work for to advertise in the classified section of this forum, perhaps offer a group buy? For the most part those who go into business do so to make money, if this LHBS has so many kegs perhaps they would be willing to sell some over the forum. I know I would be interested so long as they are not at an inflated price, they could even impose a limit as to how many kegs are sold per person.

We're working on becoming a forum vendor sponsor. We recently opened a winery at our largest location and the owner is really focused on that aspect of our business for the time being. I handle all our social media and some of the online marketing. Trust me, I know how amazing it would be to advertise on this forum. We do advertise on the Brewing Network. You may have heard our commercials with a BNARMY discount code. We're also in BYO, Zymurgy, Winemaker, and Philly Beer Scene magazine...

allenH said:
I was picking up some kegs at McEvers Distributing... They said home brewers represent less than 5% of their sales, the majority of their sales are to carnivals and local/state fairs where they don't have a reliable water supply...
That doesn't make sense. Whether you use bag-in-a-box or stainless kegs, you still need clean water to mix the syrup with. Kegs don't contain the finished drink; just the syrup. Maybe what he meant to say is that big chains switched to bag-in-a-box, while mom & pop joints still use the old fashioned kegs.

SpeedYellow said:
That doesn't make sense. Whether you use bag-in-a-box or stainless kegs, you still need clean water to mix the syrup with. Kegs don't contain the finished drink; just the syrup. Maybe what he meant to say is that big chains switched to bag-in-a-box, while mom & pop joints still use the old fashioned kegs.

So what is pre-mix?

SpeedYellow said:
Oh, interesting. I always thought they were used for syrup only. Thanks for setting me straight!

That's was my understanding as well. They still sell new pre-mix dispensers, apparently they work without power as well, extra bonus for carney folk.

That's was my understanding as well. They still sell new pre-mix dispensers, apparently they work without power as well, extra bonus for carney folk.

Now that you mention it, the kegs I saw full outside of the convenient store were labeled pre-mix. That store had horrible tap water - you could smell the sulfur as soon as you turned on a tap.

Okay we've gotten a bit off topic but I'll comment...

The 5 gallon corney kegs that were primarily used for dispensing soda were of the pre mixed verity, basically a 5 gallon soda bottle, much like how us home brewers use them. The soda manufacture mixed the correct ratio of syrup and soda water and filled the kegs up, the dispenser used CO2 to push the soda out of the keg and to your cup. The only reason the dispensing machines were plugged in was to cool the soda as it was dispensed. The now common BIB, beverage In a Bag, is concentrated syrup that is mixed with carbonated water from what is called a carbonator. The big reason for the switch is one can make a more money per cup from the BIB system then the premixed kegs.

I hope this clears things up....now who has some cheap Kegs they can sell me?

Dr_Jeff said:
Pre-mix is what would be in a 2-liter bottle.
Pre-mixed with water, ready to drink.

Taken in context with the post above mine, my comment made sense. Seeing it now, it looks like I'm clueless :D

Man this is getting a bit crazy... The two ways of receiving "draft" sodas are..... Pre-mix and Post-mix Pre mix is what was/is in the 5gallon corny kegs, this manufacture pre mixed and carbonated the soda, it is ready to drink Post mix is the BIB style, a concertante is mixed with carbonated water at the tap, these machines will actually create their own carbonated water. BIB stands for Bag In a Bag.

herc1354 said:
Man this is getting a bit crazy... The two ways of receiving "draft" sodas are..... Pre-mix and Post-mix Pre mix is what was/is in the 5gallon corny kegs, this manufacture pre mixed and carbonated the soda, it is ready to drink Post mix is the BIB style, a concertante is mixed with carbonated water at the tap, these machines will actually create their own carbonated water. BIB stands for Bag In a Bag.

My point has missed you as well, I completely understand what pre-mix is. I asked the poster who originally quoted me what it was so he would look it up, which he did and replied "thanks for setting me straight".

Now, back to posting cheap kegs!

9 just appeared on the Boston craigslist at $40 (about halfway between Boston and Providence).

I bought 10 on eBay. The first 6 were ball locks for $32 each and the last set were pin locks which I will convert eventually for $28 each. The vendor was someone like McClever distributing or someone like that

sachsebrewer said:
I bought 10 on eBay. The first 6 were ball locks for $32 each and the last set were pin locks which I will convert eventually for $28 each. The vendor was someone like McClever distributing or someone like that

McEvers distributing. New Smyrna Beach FL

Shipping was very reasonable for me on all sets shipped, he shipped 4 at a time and the shipping was never more than 40$ for all four.

Shipping was very reasonable for me on all sets shipped, he shipped 4 at a time and the shipping was never more than 40$ for all four.

Hmm... on his eBay ad it's like $40 shipping. I suspect he's doing this so he won't have to pay eBay for selling 'em, as he gives his email address and says to contact him directly if you don't like the shipping costs. :)

Newsman said:
Hmm... on his eBay ad it's like $40 shipping. I suspect he's doing this so he won't have to pay eBay for selling 'em, as he gives his email address and says to contact him directly if you don't like the shipping costs. :)

Could be, I believe he said something about the shipping was calculated automatically and if you ordered more than one, he can get a better shipping rate for you. Maybe it's bs to bypass the eBay fees, that I don't know.

OK I just spoke to the local soda guy I bought some from before (pin locks)

he has some that he told me I can pick thru and he pulled all the ones that had root beer in them

they are all used but hold pressure and will need to be cleaned

he will take 10 bucks a piece, I will try to buy all I can and maybe pay less

but for ten bucks and I have more beer then kegs at this time

it works for me

all the best

S_M

OK I just spoke to the local soda guy I bought some from before (pin locks)

he has some that he told me I can pick thru and he pulled all the ones that had root beer in them

they are all used but hold pressure and will need to be cleaned

he will take 10 bucks a piece, I will try to buy all I can and maybe pay less

but for ten bucks and I have more beer then kegs at this time

it works for me

all the best

S_M

If you can get any extra I am definitely interested in them and more than willing to take the drive down the 90 from buffalo for a steal like that!

I did a Google Shopping search this morning. Came across an interesting site that shows to have NEW 5 Gallon Corny Kegs for sale at a ridiculously low price... site is http://motierrefashion.com. Search for "Cornelius" to find the 5 Gallon ball-lock kegs they supposedly have for sale.

I tried to buy a couple this morning, but when I went to check out I got an error message stating they were "having problems with our merchant provider." I'm going to try again later, but I thought I'd pass this along for what it's worth.

Note -- just tried to get there from my work PC and got a message that it was blocked by our firewall for "possibly pirated software" or some such verbiage. OTOH, I did get some refurbed pin-lock kegs on eBay for decent price (bought two and with shipping it ended up being just over $58 each.)

Our own forum sponsor KegConnection is having a sale on kegs. Might want to look in the Sponsor Announcement section.

Our own forum sponsor KegConnection is having a sale on kegs. Might want to look in the Sponsor Announcement section.

Thanks. Just ordered two brand new "class 2" kegs from Beverage Elements. :) Just for giggles I'll check out KegConnection myself to see what sort of offer they have. Hard to beat $60 for a brand new corny keg, though (even if it's not as "pretty" as some! :D)

Back