Corny Keg for Small Batch Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to go away from a bucket for small batch (cider right now unless I pull the trigger on one of the small Anvil systems) and was thinking of dedicating a corny keg. Possibly I'd even buy a 3 gallon keg for this use. I'm wondering about avoiding picking up trub/yeast. How does everyone avoid that problem when doing a transfer to a serving keg?

I ferment exclusively in 5g corny kegs. I use an auto siphon to move to the serving keg so I handle the trub that way. I choose to ferment in kegs since I can fit two of them in my fermentation chamber, and I like stainless over plastic.

You can bend or cut the pickup tube to sit higher off the yeast cake/trub. I started out that way but kept clogging. I may try it again though, I did like the closed transfer.

A lot of people replace the dip tube with a float, so you are drawing off just below the surface and not the bottom of the keg.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/r...t-60-cm-silicone-dip-tube-fermentasaurus.html

That’s what I do. I ferment 3.25gal in a 5gal keg using one of those Fermentasaurus floats (purchased from Williams Brewing). During active fermentation I just take off the gas valve and diptube and put a piece of silicone over the threads and have the other end in sanitizer. Then once it’s done I’ll put the gas valve and diptube back on. Put a little CO2 pressure on it and then crash cool and inject gelatin for clarification. After a day with gelatin, I transfer to the 2.5gal serving keg and carbonate.

Latest posts

Back