Cornelius Keg Identification Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aqualab

Reaction score
I purchased two "premium" kegs from Keg Connection and I am wondering if what I got is what I ordered/paid for?
Both kegs have Cornelius stamped on their sides. One says Super Champion Coke Bottling Co (somebody used a grinder to remove Coke but you can still make it out) and the other says Pepsi. I thought Coke used only pin-locks? Is the Coke keg a pin to ball conversion although the kegs are the same height? The posts on both kegs do not look anything like Cornelius style posts I have seen, they look like Firestone posts. I thought Firestone and Cornelius have different size post threads? The post threads on both kegs are identical. The two liquid posts are six sided and the two gas posts are 12 sided. I purchased Cornelius replacement poppets and they do not work - won't open. So I am totally mixed up with what I have here. I really don't care as long as they work but would like to know what posts these are so I can buy correct replacements and poppets if I ever need to.

Any help/clarification is appreciated. Thanks

Photos of the posts, original poppets and the keg tops.

Thanks

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

Well I agree with your supposition that those are both ball lock kegs, regardless of what's scribed into them.

And both sets of posts look identical to my Cornelius keg posts - not my Firestone Challenger posts (which are all hex, not 12-point).

Firestone Beer post uses 9/16-18
Firestone Gas post uses 5/8-18

Cornelius Beer and Gas posts use 19/32-18

If the posts or the threaded risers on those kegs aren't trashed then they must be Cornelius kegs.

As for the poppet situation...
The outlier poppet is a "universal" type and may need a loop or two trimmed to fit squat posts like Firestone and Cornelius style.
If you want to get oem poppets you might have luck here:
http://www.homebrewing.org/Keg-Posts-and-Poppets_c_397.html

Cheers!

Thanks day trippr for the info and the poppet link. The liquid and gas posts are the same size thread, glad to know that both kegs are original Cornelius ball-lock with correct posts.

Back