Corn help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Every fall as deer season approaches gas stations and party stores in northern Michigan sell bags of shelled corn as bait. I'm wondering if this corn could be used to make mash?

As an adjunct, one can use most anything. Unmalted corn would need to be ground then cooked to reach a "gelatinous" state before adding to a mash containing malted grains with sufficient enzymes to provide a net "Lintner" rating that handles itself plus the corn.

I'm surprised the "Similar Threads" below is so thin on this topic as I know I've read of folks using field corn in mashes...

Cheers!

You could also do the cereal mash (cook to gelatinize) and then add glucoamylase (amyloglucosidase) when below about 140°F (check the recommended dosage, and max temp, for the specific brand you use.) Gluco converts all the starch, even dextrins, to fermentable sugar, thus giving you increased yield vs. alpha amylase.

Brew on :mug:

You could also do the cereal mash (cook to gelatinize) and then add glucoamylase (amyloglucosidase) when below about 140°F (check the recommended dosage, and max temp, for the specific brand you use.) Gluco converts all the starch, even dextrins, to fermentable sugar, thus giving you increased yield vs. alpha amylase.

i believe you'd need to cool to 150f, add alpha amylase to liquify what would be a big pot of solid gel'd corn. sparge it, then add gluco to the fermenter with the yeast pitch? that's how i made my rice beer.....i don't think gluco can handle the bigger starches, and that's where the alpha comes in.....

(and the way i gel'd my rice for rice beer, was to put it in the oven at 170f overnight...my oven gets up to 200f at that setting..i'd wake up to a pot of solid white rice, then i'd sprinkle the alpha on top and start slowly working it into the rice, it would start liquifying, then add A LOT of rice hulls and sparge)

Yes, you can use that corn as its no different than chicken feed corn you buy at Tractor Supply. Or you can go to the farmers co-op and get the same for probably cheaper.
Regardless, it will need to be gelatinized after milling. The best method I've found is to insulate a vessel, and add boiling water to the corn. Easy Large Batch Mashing - Home Distiller
I've got a 60Gal barrel, and use this method.

K

I go through a lot of deer corn at the hunting lease, it might be the same sweet corn but the quality is all over the place. I've opened bags of deer corn loaded with briars, cobb pieces, sticks, pebbles etc. not to mention the bags of black, moldy kernels. A few bucks more you can get cracked corn for horses/ livestock at the feedstores, it's a lot better quality, I wouldn't use deer corn unless i had nothing else to use and then i would sort through it to pick out the nasties and then rinse it well.

Um...what happens if I add glucoamylase to the mash before the boil? .....asking for a friend.
If you have done an adequate cereal mash (completely gelatinized the starch), got the temp low enough not to denature the gluco, and give it enough time, you will convert all of the starch to fermentable sugar.

If you have done an adequate cereal mash (completely gelatinized the starch), got the temp low enough not to denature the gluco, and give it enough time, you will convert all of the starch to fermentable sugar.

Hmm.... I made a mistake. I used glucoamylase when I intended to use gluca-buster. This beer may be interesting. At what temp does it denature? (140F?)

Hmm.... I made a mistake. I used glucoamylase when I intended to use gluca-buster. This beer may be interesting. At what temp does it denature? (140F?)
Enzymes don't denature at a specific temperature, they start denaturing a low rates at relatively low temperatures, and the rate of denaturing increases rapidly as temperature increases. You could define a denaturing temp as the temperature at which a specific half life is reached (under specific conditions - pH, etc.) For example alpha amylase has a half life of tens of minutes at about 160°F, at typical mash pHs. The temp sensitivity of gluco is not too different than alpha amylase, but I think it depends on the specific "strain" of gluco (which is determined by its source.) You need to look up temp stability information for the specific gluco that you used.

I have done the same thing as in the Easy Large Batch Mashing - Home Distiller thread. Only I don't have mine insulated yet.
Also, I go to restaurant depot and get ground corn meal. If I remember correctly, it was about $17 for 50# bag. But just like everything, the price has gone up on that too.
I like not having to do all that crushing and grinding.

I have done the same thing as in the Easy Large Batch Mashing - Home Distiller thread. Only I don't have mine insulated yet.
Also, I go to restaurant depot and get ground corn meal. If I remember correctly, it was about $17 for 50# bag. But just like everything, the price has gone up on that too.
I like not having to do all that crushing and grinding.

Same. I just cover my barrel w/ blankets, sleeping bags, and comforters. To cool more rapidly (and prevent infection) I use my immersion chiller.

K

Back