corking a belgian bottle and putting a bottle cap over it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure by your question if you're thinking about how these corks work, but here's my two cents worth. The benefit of using a Belgian cork finished bottle over capping is really more of an artistic, than practical one. It allows you to close your bottle in the traditional style of a Belgian beer. But, you don't shove it down the bottle and cap it with a crown cap. You put it partway down the bottle then tie it down with a wire cork hood - like the one shown at the bottom of the page in the link you included from morebeer. The cool thing about using a Belgian cork is having the straight cork turn into it's mushroom shape over time as the carbonation in the beer tries to force it out of the bottle, with the wire hood holding it in place.

I agree with prandlesc.

I don't really see a point of corking if you are just going to cap it anyway. If you are doing that, just cap it and be done with it. Then the person opening the beer has to uncap it and use a corkscrew to remove the cork. With a normal Belgian beer bottle, you just untwist the wire hood and pop off the cork.

I found the whole corking thing to be NOT worth it.

They looked awesome while conditioning (which you would totally miss out on, having capped them) and then I was the only one who really took any notice when uncorking.

I think most people associate it with champagne opening and it just isn't that cool.

Latest posts

Back