Coriander addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Kind of a twist on the usual question about additions...

Adding last ten minutes of boil vs adding in fermenter, is there a flavor difference between the two?

My experience is that the heat of the boil helps pull the flavor out of the seeds. The cooler temperature of fermentation doesn't draw the flavor compounds out as well. I've always cracked mine first to help the wort get inot the seeds, and added them in the last 5 minutes. I read somewhere that adding spices too early (and 10 minutes doesn't sound too early to me) is great for the neighbors (smells good) but not great for the beer (not much flavor added).

I found that the freshness, quality, and grind of the coriander makes more of a difference than when it is added.... that, and the experience which comes from making lots of Wit.
When I first started out making Wits, I would sometimes add coriander to a hop bag in the fermenter for several hours to a day or two to make up for lack of flavor from adding to little or stale coriander during the last 10-15 min. Really have to watch it since the flavor can become overpowering before you know it and I prefer just a nuance of coriander to balance out the other additions. We grow our own these days and the difference in aroma from store bought is amazing...

I found that the freshness, quality, and grind of the coriander makes more of a difference than when it is added.... that, and the experience which comes from making lots of Wit.
When I first started out making Wits, I would sometimes add coriander to a hop bag in the fermenter for several hours to a day or two to make up for lack of flavor from adding to little or stale coriander during the last 10-15 min. Really have to watch it since the flavor can become overpowering before you know it and I prefer just a nuance of coriander to balance out the other additions. We grow our own these days and the difference in aroma from store bought is amazing...

Hmmm this makes me wonder then. I used some off the rack pre-ground coriander and the flavor is super subtle but my bosss wanted a more pronounced flavor.

Me I don't like coriander so I like subtle, but I am catching a bit of hell regarding putting it in at last ten of boil instead of just dumping it in the fermenter.

Back