Copper temperature resistance for IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 50ft copper coil of refrigeration tubing on Home Depot and I'm wondering if I can use it. It says it's resistant up to 65 C (149 F). Since I will be putting this in boiling wort, is that acceptable? I don't know if all copper tubing is like that and it's nothing to worry about or is there some other type of copper that I need?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/copper-refrigeration-coil-1-2-inch-x-50-foot/969918

I have no idea what the heck that 149 degrees thing is referencing, but I built my IC using exactly the same 3/8" tubing bought at HD and I assure you it has had absolutely no difficulty sitting in a kettle of boiling wort for 10 minutes before crashing it to pitching temperatures in under 15 minutes for at least two years worth of brewing every couple of weeks or so...

Cheers!

I think that temperature rating is based on a closed system, so it has more to do with its pressure rating. It'll be fine for a IC

AC is just thinner wall than L or K and is purged with inert gas. the thinner wall prob transfers heat better...

Latest posts

Back