Copper refrigerant tubing for chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
The old immersion chiller I made was destroyed by winter, so today I made a new one using 50 feet of 1/2" copper refrigerant tubing.

A question came up about this tubing: does it contain any lead? While obviously copper drinking lines do not, I can't seem to find any information on this tubing that is typically used for refrigerants which may not require the same standards.

Can anyone either set my mind at ease or warn me that I need to start again? Thanks!

If it came from China I wouldn't use it. Then again I have no use for anything out of China.

Regardless of country of manufacture, the ASTM standard for any copper tubing sold in the US is less than 0.05% lead. That includes refrigerant tubing. You should be fine.

Thank you for asking this. I recently made a 50' chiller from that material. I just used it and was wondering if I screwed up my beer.

Latest posts

Back