Cooling my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
create an ice bath in your sink and place your covered kettle into it. Gently whirlpool with a sanitized spoon every 10 minutes or so.

Where do you live and how big of a batch are you trying to chill. Chilling a 10 gallon batch in the kitchen sink will be frustrating while buying a glycol chiller for a one gallon batch would be very expensive.

Chilling in Hawaii is different from Alaska too. Apartment or condo dwellers have different issues than someone out in the country.

I use a plastic tote in the bathtub with a few bags of ice. Cools 5g to @70 in @45 min. stirring it every 10 min. Of course that requires someone who can lift and carry a kettle filled with 5+gallons...I am able as I am a big, strong fella....big mouth and strong breath as my father always said....

My technique is similar to ricksam's but I constantly rotate the kettle. Half a dozen spins clockwise, half a dozen counter clockwise, repeat, repeat, repeat etc. I get the wort down to 60F in about 20 minutes. I use a big plastic tote from Walmart (~$7) and put my kettle in that with about 30 lbs of ice ($5 at my supermarket).

Back