Cooler MLT - spinning ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTrOvErT

Reaction score
I just built my first chest cooler MLT, and replaced the spigot with a ball valve assembly. Seems tight with no apparent leaks.

But the entire assembly spins, and is actually difficult to turn the valve lever without it freely rotating. But it doesn't appear to leak when spinning.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Is there a good solution? Thank you!

Need more details. Did you use washers and nuts on threaded ball valve assembly? I tightened assembly on rather thin cooler wall (igloo circular) and just sealed with blue rtc after, haven't had a leak in almost ten years.

I put a 3/8" brass nipple through the hole in the cooler, then screwed a brass hose barb on the inside with a SS washer and gasket-type-washer tight against the inside wall. Then washers and a ball valve screwed onto the exterior portion of the nipple.

It's squeezed tightly enough against the walls, and thus no leaks. But the whole thing just spins very freely

Maybe the brass fittings screwed together tight, but didn't clamp down on the plastic cooler? That plastic liner is pretty thin

Since the day it was installed my cooler's output ball valve has spun. As in your case there's no leaks- unless I tilt the valve up or down, then I'll get a drop. It's something I've learned to live with. The spinning did decrease when I changed from a toilet braid to a copper manifold. Kyle

Er, did you use blue automotive RTV? That stuff isn't really food grade.

If the valve will spin it is not tight on the plastic of the cooler. Simple as that. You need to tighten things up with washers or something.

Back