Converting an American IPA into an English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
So, today I saw northern brewer's black IPA recipe, and I was wondering if there would be a good way to switch the hops (which are American) so that it has more of an English hop profile. I have really enjoyed the taste of Samuel Smith's English IPA, and overall I like the taste of English hops more than American. Anybody have any recommendations as to which hops might make good replacements? Would this even make a tasty beer?

The recipe can be found here:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/black-ipa-extract-kit.html

The original hop schedule is as follows:
1 oz summit (60 min)
1 oz chinook (15 min)
1 oz centennial (10 min)
1 oz cascade (5 min)
1 oz centennial (0 min)
1 oz cascade (dry hop)

I am assuming that one way to do it would be to look at the AA%'s and try to match similar strength hops (replacing the American with English). I would also replace the American Ale Yeast with some kind of english yeast (maybe WLP013). What do you think? Also, if you switch the hops as I've mentioned, does it really just become a robust porter or some kind of hoppy porter/brown ale?

The original hops all center around strong, fruity, citrusy flavors and aromas, characteristic of American hops, but English hops tend to have a more subdued, floral flavor and aroma. You could use Target for bittering, First Gold for adding some spiciness, Progress for aroma (in boil and dry hop) and maybe finish it off with Kent Goldings and/or Fuggle. It will completely change the flavor profile, though, from the original kit description. English IPAs are a little lighter on everything (OG/FG, IBUs, ABV, etc.) compared to American IPAs, so you probably want to keep the IBUs a little lower if you want to stay true to style.

I think you can still make it very much an English IPA (versus a hoppy Porter, like you mentioned), so long as you're careful in your hop schedule and recipe formulation. I'd use maybe 6lbs pale base lme, 2 lbs dark lme and for your steeping grains maybe 8oz crystal 40L, 8oz chocolate malt, 2 oz black roasted barley. You could also use some black treacle (1 lb) as an adjunct (and treacle is about as British as it gets) if you can find it at a local international food store or online. I used it in a Scottish Heavy and it gave it a very nice, floral, slightly smokey background that paired well with the English hops I used.

Wow thank you very much for the informative response. Yeah that is kind of what I figured. I can enjoy some American hops, but sometimes they're a little too in my face for my taste.

Back