Converting 1 Gallon mash/sparge into 1 gallon BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegreatbrewnorth

Reaction score
Hey everyone, have 2 successful brews under my belt. First one was a 1 gallon Brooklyn Brewshop kit, that turned out great. I did that one as per the instructions, which is essentially a traditional separate mash and sparge process.

I have since invested in a 2.5 BIAB setup. Before I start brewing my own recipes, I still have an additional BBS 1 gallon kit sitting around waiting to be brewed ( I bought it along with my initial BBS kit as they were on sale). It's an everyday IPA.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to convert the recipe to a 1gal BIAB.

For the BBS instructions, it says to heat 2.5 quarts to 160f, mash for 60mins, then sparge with an additional 4 quarts of water at 170f. Pre-boil volume says to be 5 quarts.

I'm wondering what volume of water and temp I need pre-mash if I wanted to brew this kit BIAB, as there would be no separate sparge process.

Thanks in advance.

(PS. Going to be investing in BeerSmith soon !)

If we take the volumes in the kit at face value, meaning we won't adjust them to fit your system, then it's simple:

Mash with 6.5 quarts. It's the mash and sparge volumes added, simple as that.

The assumption is that you'll lose 1.5 quarts to grain absorption and end up with 5 quarts to boil. How much grain is there in the recipe (lbs)? Going by a typical BIAB absorption rate of 0.06 gallons/lb, if you had 6.25 lbs, the numbers would work out perfectly.

For strike temperature, just use an online calculator - input the weight and ambient temp of the grain, and the 6.5 quarts of water.

If we take the volumes in the kit at face value, meaning we won't adjust them to fit your system, then it's simple:

Mash with 6.5 quarts. It's the mash and sparge volumes added, simple as that.

The assumption is that you'll lose 1.5 quarts to grain absorption and end up with 5 quarts to boil. How much grain is there in the recipe (lbs)? Going by a typical BIAB absorption rate of 0.06 gallons/lb, if you had 6.25 lbs, the numbers would work out perfectly.

For strike temperature, just use an online calculator - input the weight and ambient temp of the grain, and the 6.5 quarts of water.

I was initially thinking of this, but I guess I started over-thinking/over complicating the process more than I needed to. I'm not going to bother adjusting to my system simply because I don't know my system all that well yet as I've only gotten one brew under my belt and since then have purchased new equipment (bag, kettle, etc.).

Thanks for the reply!

Back