convert propane burner to house gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joser14

Reaction score
Im getting tired of cooking on my grill and having to go through propane all the time. Combining that with my brews I'm spending much more than normal.

I already have someone coming to route a gas line to my grill from my house. Is this possible to create some sort of hookup for my burner as well?

Thought I'd get some input from you guys before I did anything.

Thanks!

Absolutely! They actually sell some flexible natural gas line kits too. Obviously you will need to convert your cooker to natural gas but a simple Tee with a valve should be all you need to go with the flexible hose kit.

Good luck with your project! Keep in mind that natural gas has approx. half the BTU value as propane... ie you're going to use twice as much natural gas as propane to heat the same volume of water.

Have your plumber put a quick disconnect on the gas line. Then you can swap from grill to burner. Or you could have him T it and put a QD on one side and direct connect the grill on the other.

Depending on the type of burner you have you may need to drill out the oriface or the burner holes to get more gas and maintain the heat. Propane systems us higher pressure and lower volume thus are designed with smaller holes. NG system use low pressure and higher volume thus need larger holes to allow the gas to flow more freely.

I just did this last weekend but rather than drill out my existing burner I brought a NG burner on Amazon and then welded up a stand to mount it on. That way I have still have the propane burner if I need to use it someplace not close to a gas line.

Be certain to have the line sized for ALL of the items to be run on it. If you plan on grilling and brewing at the same time there must be sufficient gas flow for all burners.

An update: I finished finding all the fittings and fired up my burner yesterday. The burner is this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042QKY9A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. Some people have commented that they only get a low yellow flame with all the tips open. I must have good NG pressure as I had 6 inches of blue white flame from every tip. Can't wait to see how fast it can heat 6.5 gallons of wort.

I am using a 12 ft 3/8 natural gas hose off my 1/2 NG line from the house. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YT0RS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back