Convert Imperial IPA into Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAllen

Reaction score
If I wanted to convert an Imperial IPA recipe into a regular IPA and retain much of the same flavor but with a much lower AVB, how would I go about doing it. Would it be worth it? Has anyone tried something like this?

Cut back on your fermentables. But really, I would just set up a new IPA with a similar hopchart and specialty grains. As long as you dont have as much fermentables you will have a lower ABV

Will cutting back the fermentables by say 40% really change the flavor profile of the beer? And would you still add the same amount for the hop additions or would you scale that back accordingly to compliment less fermentables?

look at the "Bitterness Ratio" or IBU/(1000x(1-OG))

if IBU is 100 and OG is 1.090, the Bitterness Ratio is 100/90 = 1.111

if you decrease your fermentables to 1.050, you would need to decrease the IBU to 55 or 56 to maintain the ratio

GrogNerd that helps putting some numbers with it. I currently have two awesome Imperial IPAs that I make but my only complaint I get from people is that they sneak up quickly since they are so smooth and you don't notice the higher ABV. It would be nice to make something that is drinkable all night long instead of being done after 4 or 5 beers in.

Latest posts

Back