Controlling your Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikon90s

Reaction score
As a brewer noob I wanted to know how important it is to control the temp during the fermentation process and how accurate that control needs to be? I just bottled my first run, a Shilling Scottish Ale, that I keep in my basement 50 to 70 degrees. Don't know how it turned out yet another week or so. I now have a American Cream Ale for my next attempt and reading the directions I need to keep it in a 4+/- at two different temperature during the fermentation process. What is the best way to do this other then keeping my heater on in the house all day(not something I plan on doing.) How bad is it to have the fermentation take place with a large temperature fluctuation.

Beers come out fine without tightly controlled temperatures, but to optimize fermentation, flavor, and "to style" beers, temperature control has to be within a degree or two. Yeast have been documented to have changes in esters, fusel alcohols, and all kinds of other flavor changing compounds with as little as a degree of temp change. Will this turn your good beer bad? Probably not. For heat, put the fermenter in a keg bucket of water with an aquarium heater. For cold, you need a freezer with a temp. controller ideally, but there are a variety of techniques, from ice in the keg bucket, to wet towels and a fan, search the threads here.

Yeast don't like temperature changes, they don't like unaerated wort, they don't like carbonation pressure. They are alive, and very important to beer. Brewers make wort, yeast make beer.

It sort of depends on how hard you want to pursue this hobby. Personally, I really like being able to precisely control fermentation temps and adjust them as needed without too much hassle.

I went the Craigslist freezer + STC-1000 controller route. I use the DIY paint can heater setup to provide warmth as needed. Cost including freezer = just under $100.

Every time I think that I have a good starter kit I find other goodies that I want to get and I have not even tasted my own first brew yet. With all the bottles I now have for just two brews I also already want to get into kegs and get dump the bottles. I guess I need a seconded job until I get stocked up.

Every time I think that I have a good starter kit I find other goodies that I want to get and I have not even tasted my own first brew yet. With all the bottles I now have for just two brews I also already want to get into kegs and get dump the bottles. I guess I need a seconded job until I get stocked up.

As crazy as it sounds, I have been there. Just take it easy, and enjoy the beer. My suggestion is to read about going all grain and pick up "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. The book teaches about recipe formulation and explains temp control and many other factors in brewing that effect different styles. I personally don't obsess over fermentation temp. I use a sunken in interior bathroom that stays roughly 65-70 degrees, and I use yeast that work well in that range.

If your home fluctuates in temperature because you turn the heat down during the day or overnight, I would think putting the fermenter in a tub of water would help. No need to heat or cool that water, it will just act to smooth out and delay temperature changes in the environment.

You don't have to have great temperature control to have good beer, it's just that with temperature control you get better beer and you can have it sooner. Most yeast will work with some fluctuation in temperature, but they don't like it. If it gets too cold they go dormant until it warms up. If it gets too warm they make fusel alcohol and esters that give your beer a hot alcohol taste and off flavors. Time in bottles or kegs will solve part but not all these problems that fluctuating temperatures can cause.

Latest posts

Back