Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Sinclair

Reaction score
So, one of my friends said I should join this site and ask my question because, and I quote, "If you can't find an answer on HBT, there isn't an answer." Anyway, what I'm looking for is a control panel that can manage not only dual 5500w elements simultaneously, but four pumps as well. I've searched and searched, but can only find dual pump controllers. Suggestions? Thank you all.

I know it is no help, but.

That seems a very unusual situation. I have never seen a setup that uses more than 2 pumps. It seems to me you can either piece together a controller or maybe take a two pump controller and add to it for the other two.

You should just need to 2x the switches/outlets for the pumps from the dual pump schematics.

That being said, are you looking to DIY or to purchase a completed panel? I would assume most of the vendors of competed panels could update to a 4-pump situation.

I did mine DIY and use 3 pumps (two 24v and one 120v) along with a gen use 120v - but I like DIY projects and had some things I wanted to experiment with.

I'd love to be able to build it ALL myself, but I'm not sure I could. The reason I am thinking 4 pumps is...

Pump 1 - HLT recirc (top to bottom Whirlpool)
Pump 2 - HERMS coil in HLT for MLT & xfr to BK
Pump 3 - Chiller coil recirc in BK
Pump 4 - Xfr to fermenter

That being said, I guess I could use one pump in place of Pump 2 & Pump 3.

Any 3 pump controllers?

Lol

What else do you want in the control panel, besides two element control loops, and four pump switches? Extra temp monitors, volt/amp meters, alarms, emergency power off switch, (disco lights :p) ? You want DIN rail mounted components, or bolt to back panel mounts? The list should be complete. Iteratively adding "just one more thing" after the initial design is a burden on the designer, and unless you want to pay them by the hour, they will get tired of working with you very quickly.

Brew on :mug:

I don't know much about pumps, HLT recirculation, Herms, transfers, chiller recirculation, transfer to fermenter but would all those be running at the same time. The videos that I have watched have the operator turning off the pump and moving hoses for the next step.

If you didn't want to move hoses couldn't you rig up valves far cheaper than customizing a panel??

Check out https://www.embeddedcc.com/ I will admit it has limitations but it will allow you to build a custom panel.

I use a BCS462 (which is discontinued) for 2 pumps (but have room for 2 more if needed) and 3 solenoids for gas burners, plus 8 motorized ball valves. It also read temps and digital inputs (i.e. float switches to monitor water levels)

I don't know much about pumps, HLT recirculation, Herms, transfers, chiller recirculation, transfer to fermenter but would all those be running at the same time. The videos that I have watched have the operator turning off the pump and moving hoses for the next step.

If you didn't want to move hoses couldn't you rig up valves far cheaper than customizing a panel??

I am generally in this camp too unless there is a compelling reason to have more pumps because the process requires it.
manual valves to redirect flow are relatively cheap and while making the plumbing more complex it simplifies the power requirements.

Here's what I initially thought would work best (see attached image). Feel free to jump in and let me know where you would make any changes. Thanks again.

282gfnn.jpg

Switches and outlets can be added to a panel for less than $20 per pump. Biggest cost is the pump itself.

Brew on :mug:

I can think of one benefit of by having a dedicated pump for each function. It could make operation of the system simpler and more intuitive to use and understand.

Having just one or two pumps with multiple valves could make construction of the plumbing more complicated. Manually configuring the valves to configure the system for multiple modes with just a couple of pumps could be confusing without a written valve schedule, at least until you had some stick time operating the system.

Depending on your budget and your goals, it might be worth the added expense.

Here's what I initially thought would work best (see attached image). Feel free to jump in and let me know where you would make any changes. Thanks again.
282gfnn.jpg

So, with respect to your image here, what type/model of chiller are you using? I have yet to find a chiller (let alone a glycol chiller) that is reasonably priced. Heck, if I could find that, that would make the fermenter transfer a whole lot faster...perhaps even cut 30 minutes off the Brew day

Latest posts

Back