Control Panel Power Cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genuine

Reaction score
I need a power cord extension to get power to the brew area in my basement as right now I'm dealing with a 4' cord.

Is there anything wrong with using something like this to go from my Dryer receptacle

41RpXBXG6lL._US500_.jpg

and then using a Generator Extension Cable to bring power to my Control Panel like this:

reliance-controls-generator-cords-pc3010-64_1000.jpg

Would that be a viable solution?

Personally, connecting two cords together would create a point of failure (or shock). if you can find one cord long enough with the right ends, I'd suggest going that route.
Just make sure those cords are rated appropriately for your draw.

{ disclaimer: this is just my inexperienced opinion. I'm just now getting into high voltage electric brewing, and cannot speak from experience yet. However, even with my Grainfather, I still wouldn't use multiple cords like that }

I am not an electrician either but would personally feel this is acceptable. As long as you are not drawing amperage in excess of what the cords/connectors are rated for you should be ok. I would just check the gauge of the cabling/jacket rating and go from there. I know a guy who runs his welder from time to time with a similar setup (he is still alive and that building is still intact, lol).

Neil

Check your local diy stores for pieces of cut cable at deeply discounted prices. I've struck gold this way several times. Add a plug and receptacle and you are done, at a much lower cost than pre-made cables.

Back