Contemplating homebrew store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamj

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I have been thinking about opening a homebrew supply store and I would love any feedback, advice, ideas, etc. I am just in the pre-planning stages and there are probably a hundred things I am not seeing or unaware of. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have been a homebrewer for 6 years and I have owned and operated a business before. I am currently the General Manager of a large, craft beer focused restaurant. (I have been a Restaurant Manager for over 13 years.)

Thanks again.

A few initial thoughts:

1. I'm not sure what the laws are like in VA, but if you can have beer/wine available for sampling that can definitely help win over people who are interested but afraid of the outcome.
2. Do carry wine making supplies as well since it increases your potential market.
3. If you can, offer beginner brewing/wine making classes in the evening/weekends.
4. Offer to host/sponsor a brew club.

Good luck if you decide to make the plunge!

I am currently helping to create the areas first homebrew club (we registered with the AHA yesterday!) I plan on offering wine supplies as well and classes are legal.
The demand and desire for the shop is here, I just want to make sure it is a viable business model. I come from restaurants where the overhead, labor, and regulations make it difficult to succeed, so it has made me hesitant to own my own. Retail is a different animal all together though. Does anyone have any experience with owning and operating a homebrew shop? Anything I should look out for?

Back