Considering Growing to Sell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusk2dust

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions on starting to do some growing for intent to sell. I'm down here in southwest florida in the past year have had great success in growing hops. I currently have two cascade plants that I started from rhizomes and they did amazing this past year. Since they produced much more than I needed for my home brew It gave me the idea trying to sell it to supplement my income. I considering purchasing a few crowns of a different variety and starting some new rhizomes that I'll take from my existing plants. So what I am asking for besides any little tips that might be helpful in my venture, is how many plants would be a good start, what varieties sell better and where should I try selling my hops besides Craigslist.

Cruise through my previous posts and you'll find many posts on this exact subject.

Here are some thoughts for you though:

- What's your production per plant? You are far enough south that you are definitely outside of "optimum". Up in WI, we are in the range of 1.5 to 2 pounds per plant (dried to 10% moisture content) and have to get that production level to make $$'s. Counterparts in the Carolina's have been struggling to break 1 pound.

- How big are you willing to go. Our new growers are required to start at an acre. That is 1,200 plants and about $10,000 installation cost. Anything less than an acre means too much work for less payback.

- If you are looking to sell to homebrewers, you are talking maybe $4/oz. That sounds good but you will work pretty hard to find those buyers and then half of them will disappear every year when they move on to a new hobby.

- You will probably be limited to selling whole cone hops, which limits your market. Part of this is because pelletizing equipment is too expensive but also because it requires a food processing license in many states. As long as you don't alter the original state of the material, it is usually considered raw agricultural material instead of processed food.

Cascade must be the hardiest hop out there, because folks all over the freakin' planet seem to be able to coax something out of them

Otoh, there are another hundred hop strains, most of which are pretty much the opposite of tolerant of extreme environments (and I'd consider Florida to be nearly off-the-charts extreme for hop growing).

Not sure one could make a bidness out of selling just Cascade...

Cheers!

...Not sure one could make a bidness out of selling just Cascade...

Cheers!

I guess that is the question, are you wanting to significantly suppliment you income or are you talking about a bit of pocket money around havest time that you can buy hobby stuff with.
If it is the first I would expect GVH advice to be of note. But the other question is if you are selling to a distibutor would there be any that would want hops from Florida as they may be seen as a gamble as it is not the best place to grow hops - GVH any comment?
If it is the second, maybe check out if there are any brew clubs in your area and if so check them out and put the feelers out. I'm guessing you like growing them, want more varieties but don't need all the hops. I would expect you will find some people to take the excess off your hands come havest time. I wouldn't expect to get the same price for them that the LHBS sells them for though!

On a first year growth I'd probably got close to a pound per plant but I'll also hand picked the cones and let the plant continue to grow instead of taking the whole vine. While I know this is more labor intensive I also dont mind doing it. I have heard to expect better growth in the following years which is typical of most plants. I probably could of gotten more from my plants if I would of stayed with my fertilizing schedule, which I gave up on when I had more than I needed. Which was back at the end of August while the plant continued to do strong without my aid till the end of November. That's probably my only problem I have room, not too much light the late afternoon sun can be brutal and I have adequate drainage, the only issue is the soil here ins't that great and they can burn through their nutrients fast, the good part is that it doesn't take much to keep them going a liquid 5-5-5 does the trick.

Still a risky business since you are in the hurricane/tropical storm region. One storm can wipe out your whole crop or worse.

$4/oz? Average online shop is $1.99-2.59. LHBS is about the same, maybe a little higher.

$4/oz? Average online shop is $1.99-2.59. LHBS is about the same, maybe a little higher.

And that is for hops with a know "make-up" - you will not know the AA% and other specs of the hops you grow and therefor I would expect probably 50% of what I someone would pay in a store.

On a first year growth I'd probably got close to a pound per plant but I'll also hand picked the cones and let the plant continue to grow instead of taking the whole vine. While I know this is more labor intensive I also dont mind doing it. I have heard to expect better growth in the following years which is typical of most plants. I probably could of gotten more from my plants if I would of stayed with my fertilizing schedule, which I gave up on when I had more than I needed. Which was back at the end of August while the plant continued to do strong without my aid till the end of November. That's probably my only problem I have room, not too much light the late afternoon sun can be brutal and I have adequate drainage, the only issue is the soil here ins't that great and they can burn through their nutrients fast, the good part is that it doesn't take much to keep them going a liquid 5-5-5 does the trick.

Do a search for GVH_Dan's other posts on this topic. I think if you do that you will find that getting hops to grow is the easy part; selling them is the hard part. Finding buyers, verification of your product, finding processing facilities, etc. etc. etc.

I'll comment on this one first...Yeah, if you play up the "local" and "fresh" angles, I have seen people get upwards of $4/oz. I'm not saying its easy but it is possible. But as others mentioned, you should have alpha and oil analysis at a minimum.

That said, packaging is a B***H. Either you drop $60k on an automatic weigh/fill vacuum sealer of you rip the hell out of your fingers packaging hundreds of 1 oz bags. Some buddies report cost/bag of $1 or more for packaging material and labor.

...But the other question is if you are selling to a distibutor would there be any that would want hops from Florida as they may be seen as a gamble as it is not the best place to grow hops - GVH any comment?
On a first year growth I'd probably got close to a pound per plant but I'll also hand picked the cones and let the plant continue to grow instead of taking the whole vine...gotten more from my plants if I would of stayed with my fertilizing schedule, which I gave up on when I had more than I needed...

I get this type of question/comment all the time. "I live in Florida/Texas/Arizona/etc and my hops grow just fine. Why does everyone say you can't grow them below 34 degrees?"

You can grow them. The vegetative part will grow quite well and shoot to the top of anything they can grab onto. The problem lies in the production you are able to achieve.

Dusk2dusk, I hate to break it to you but I'm quite certain you did not get 1 lb of hops dried down to a proper moisture content. Or if you did, you won't repeat that next year. Most likely, like most 1st year growers, you didn't dry them down far enough. Make sure you keep drying until they are almost 1/5th the original weight.

The problem with growing in the deep south (or in Alaska) is that the plants use temperature and day length as indicators to tell them when to flower. In the typical hop growing latitudes the bine will emerge in the March time frame, it will grow until June 21st and then as the days start shortening, it will focus on sidearm production and developing burrs/cones. If you are in a warm climate, the bines will pop out of the ground earlier, grow faster and start entering the burr stage in late may/early june. This will be before side arms start to really pop out. Without those side arms, you don't have enough plant surface to generate the big production numbers (2 lb/plant).

What happened to you this year is you planted the rhizome at the optimal time, so it grew normal. Next year, it will be popping up really early.

There is hope. Starting with the 3rd year, the plant will have a large enough root mass that you can cut the first, second, maybe even third flush of shoots. This will delay the start and may get you on the "normal" schedule for the plants. Of course, everytime you cut, the plant has put a bunch of energy into developing those shoots and you just cut them off.

Finally, harvest labor will get intensive. Figure 45 minutes/bine to harvest regardless of how many cones are on the bine. Do the math and you can see that if you have to hire people, you will be paying a lot just to get your product in.

If I were you, set aside the "supplementing your income" idea for the moment. You are behind the 8 ball on that unless you have a lot of $$'s and time to invest. Find a local brew club and work out a deal where you grow and they show up to help with harvest and kick in some funds/beer/other compensation for you. You'll get a new group of fun people to hang out with, they'll get fresh hops for wet hop brews and dry hopping and you'll get experience. As you learn, you may discover you can go commercial. By that time, I guarantee that one of those guys you've been hanging with will be opening a brewpub or working for one. That will be your instant in with a customer that all ready knows you and trusts you. That's the hardest part of the sale.

If I haven't convinced you to re-think this whole thing, take a look at the document we just produced for the USDA. Its called the Best Practices Guide for Hop Processing and its free for download. 102 pages of what it takes to process and sell hops...this isn't about production, harvest, etc. Just what you need to do once the hop leaves the dryer.

Thanks for the all the info I guess right now ill stick to the hobby aspect of it, I never really considered going full commercial more like just a little pocket change.

Thanks for the all the info I guess right now ill stick to the hobby aspect of it, I never really considered going full commercial more like just a little pocket change.

Guess you didn't grow up/around a farm? No such thing has farming for a little pocket change! :)

Seriously, don't give up entirely. Link up with a local club and work your way up to a few dozen plants or whatever you can fit. Throw in different varieties that aren't normally available. If not pocket change, turn it into free beer from the better brewers in the club.

Seriously, don't give up entirely. Link up with a local club and work your way up to a few dozen plants or whatever you can fit. Throw in different varieties that aren't normally available. If not pocket change, turn it into free beer from the better brewers in the club.

I agree, it sounds like you do like gardening. And taking care of 5/10/20 bines compare to 2 can't be that much more effort if you have room at your house for them.
I would get a few more of varieties (maybe GVH_Dan could advicse some of the more hardy ones similar to Cascade). Take what you want from the crop at harvest time and the rest can go to other local homebrewers. I am sure there must be some how would take some cheap, fresh hops of your hands :D
With 10 plants - even though you might only get 0.5# per plant thats still 5#, and at $1/oz that is still worth at least 1 - 2 batches of free beer :D

Guess its time to invest in a little kitchen scale so I can get a more accurate idea of how much they are producing and if I'm getting them completely dried. I'm not going to give up, I'll see if I can get another "decent" crop again this year I easily have enough room for another 10 plants to run down the side of the garden area, its about 100' x50' and irrigated. So do you have any suggestions and how to cut rhizomes off the existing plants? Oh and here's a little eye candy the authentic bitburger kegerator from Germany its been converted to 110v and lives next to the bar on the porch

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

1389194329767.jpg

Guess its time to invest in a little kitchen scale so I can get a more accurate idea of how much they are producing and if I'm getting them completely dried. I'm not going to give up, I'll see if I can get another "decent" crop again this year I easily have enough room for another 10 plants to run down the side of the garden area, its about 100' x50' and irrigated. So do you have any suggestions and how to cut rhizomes off the existing plants? Oh and here's a little eye candy the authentic bitburger kegerator from Germany its been converted to 110v and lives next to the bar on the porch

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

I wouldn't cut rhizomes from your current plants. They are too young. You really want to wait until they are 4 to 5 years old. Besides, I would try several varieties to see what works best for you. Just make sure there is enough separation so the plants don't grow together.

Back