Connecting a beer bottle to metal pipe fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyts

Reaction score
Anyone know what type of fitting I would use to connect a beer bottle to metal pipe like black iron piping?

I bet you have been looking at those beer bottle lamps, like I have.

I think it looks like a compression to NPT adapter in the diameter on the comp. side to allow the bottle to fit in.

3-FRANKLIN-BREWING-COVER.jpg

I've always thought the fitting in that picture looked like a dielectric union that you would use on a water heater.

Have never actually checked the diameters but maybe they're putting to metal half of the union on the bottle and then adding some type of o-ring to the bottle to retain it. That or maybe it's as simple as epoxying it to the union nut.

Ok, but how do you get the light bulb in ?

As best that I can tell from the pics, the bottom of the bottle isn't cut out of anything. I would assume the bulb is just small enough to fit, something like a sconce bulb.

I do wonder if heat is an issue at all. If the heat is all trapped in the bottle, it seems like that could cause problems.

As best that I can tell from the pics, the bottom of the bottle isn't cut out of anything. I would assume the bulb is just small enough to fit, something like a sconce bulb.

I do wonder if heat is an issue at all. If the heat is all trapped in the bottle, it seems like that could cause problems.

I put a cfl in my front porch light fixture and left it on all day and it busted the globe . Odd that a regular bulb did not .

I put a cfl in my front porch light fixture and left it on all day and it busted the globe . Odd that a regular bulb did not .

I'm sure the fixture and bulb are the smaller socket and something like the flame style bulb. I was also thinking the fitting was maybe the dielectric fitting. I think as long as the nut side of the union fits over the neck of the bottle it would be just a matter of using some type of rubber gasket or o-ring that would tighten down on the neck when the union's nut is screed down. As far as heat issues, I'm thinking that it would dissipate through the piping since the top of the bottle is open inside the fitting.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of L.E.D. lamp socket and bulb that could be used to reduce heat as well as maybe be brighter.

From their FAQ...

The bulbs are available at most local hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) and no tools are required to change them. Simply unscrew the bottle and wallah…you have access to the light socket for easy replacement. In addition, each lamp comes with a replacement bulb.

I dont think the bottle is scewed on per say. On the website they use pop top bottles, maybe something inserted into the top of the bottle. Something snug like a union joint? Otherwise you need a spring loaded fitting like a air hose. If it had threads it might be easier.

I've been looking at that light also. He is what we do, Draw straws and the shortest straw purchases the light and tells the rest of us how to build it.

Not picking on this poster specifically, just a general comment on the direction of this thread that has me a bit frustrated...

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make something similar in style with your own touch; the goal shouldn't be to make a complete knock off (of a forum sponsor nonetheless).

I think the dielectric union is a good start to affixing a bottle to pipe thread. From there, how about having some ingenuity and showing others what each of us can come up with.

Personally, the whole steampunk style doesn't really work for me but I'd be curious to see what people could come up with on their own.

/soapbox

JP This is a DIY forum and it seems to me that the whole idea is to make items for yourself rather than purchase them. It is not to make a profit or to take away from a sponsor, that is not the point. So if you are frunstrated, I'm sorry.

Some people use reducers. I can't tell which one I like better, but after searching for 15 minutes I can't find the fitting in the picture above.

I actually looked into this for a long time- spent a lot of time at the hardware store and scouring online. I couldn't ever figure out the exact setup they use to secure the bottles (I think some kind of union is the best bet, but I couldn't find the one), so I decided to see what I could cook up on my own.
I use a hard rubber or cork stopper (the predrilled ones for securing an airlock bottles don't work- too soft), drilled it out, and ran a 1/8" nipple or lamp nipple through the hole. When I am securing a bottle at an angle, I also use a flexible rubber union to keep it secure. If you can find a candelabra socket with a cardboard "sheath", you can remove the sheath and file down the tiny pin that held it on. This fits only in "euro" style 29MM opening bottles- it will barely not fit a regular 26MM. If you want to use a regular bottle you'll have to figure out a different light, or you can cut the bottom off the bottle and put any kind you like in there.
I know this is not a perfect answer, but I think they came out OK. Once you know your configuration, zorotools.com had all of the fittings for the best price, though their site can be a pain to navigate.
Apologies for the crappy images.
U5GQSqQ.jpg

tVfqaFQ.jpg

YBV4959.jpg

Here is one with the flexibile fitting and nice cord
dFwAfgi.jpg

They look very good. Mind filling us in on what bulb setup you used in the fully enclosed bottle?

The socket is candelabra sized, and screws into a 1/8" nipple. There is a 1/2" to 1/8" reducer
Here is the socket setup with the flexible coupler
bFbMQSq.jpg

C9E7RbU.jpg

Here with the coupler removed
hvQRF07.jpg

This is what it looks like assembled.
uInMsPB.jpg

I made one off of a design on that website. Looks exactly like it. I shoved a cheap string of led string lights in there. Nice effect. I used a 22 oz standard brown bottle. For the fitting, if you take some of that spongy double sided tape and wrap it around the top of the bottle, don't peel the outside layer off the tape, it screws perfectly into I believe its a standard 1 inch black pipe fitting- nothing special needed. Perfectly snug.

Hey guys -

I made a floor lamp like this over the weekend, and this thread was helpful in getting me going.

I used a 3/4" "dresser coupling" from Home Depot to attach the bottle to the pipe. It's basically a compression fitting with two sides, worked great. For the light fixture, I used a candelabra socket on threaded tube to position it inside the bottle, and a small candelabra bulb. 15w is way too dim, ordered a 40w halogen from Amazon that's on the way.

I set up the valve as an electrical switch according to this instructable, worked great:

http:// http://m.instructables.com/id/Water-Valve-Light-Switch-for-a-Pipe-Lamp/

Really appreciate the thread you put together, I joined the forum to post this :).

Best,
Chris

20141207_160700.jpg

20141207_152639.jpg

Last edited:
What about for bulbs getting a cheep ac to DC converter and using a smaller car light bulb

Hey guys -

I made a floor lamp like this over the weekend, and this thread was helpful in getting me going.

I used a 3/4" "dresser coupling" from Home Depot to attach the bottle to the pipe. It's basically a compression fitting with two sides, worked great. For the light fixture, I used a candelabra socket on threaded tube to position it inside the bottle, and a small candelabra bulb. 15w is way too dim, ordered a 40w halogen from Amazon that's on the way.

I set up the valve as an electrical switch according to this instructable, worked great:

http:// http://m.instructables.com/id/Water-Valve-Light-Switch-for-a-Pipe-Lamp/

Really appreciate the thread you put together, I joined the forum to post this :).

Best,
Chris

I've been looking for a compression fitting that would work for this, thanks. I want to build a wall sconce but use growlers from around town these fittings should work great just need the right size.

A liquid tight conduit fitting has a fixed size (the size of the conduit). I believe what is pictured is a cable gland, that will cover a range of sizes. Couldn't find a reference quickly for the size you will need, but this is the idea: http://canada.newark.com/thomas-betts/2920al/cable-cord-gland-al-12-7mm-0-5/dp/94F9785
Select one that will fit the neck of the bottle. You will probably have to go to an electrical supply house, and they won't be cheap.

Latest posts

Back