Conical thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ride123ca

Reaction score
Ive came to the conclusion that i dont want to clean carboys more than i have to and have also come to the conclusion that my restraint for wanting to put out for a conical is outweighed by that......i have been looking at the ss brewtech because of the clean temp controll and the price.....but looking at the spike 14gal coming out makes me want to hold off.....havent owned any spike steel.....but hear the steel on the spike is of a thicker grade and i like the seemless welds inside the spike for cleaning.....just thought i would ask you guys your thoughts as i am still on the newby side of brewing....plus it sounds like spike keeps pushing back the release date(now april) and i dont want to hold off just to be forced to hold off more....ideally I think id like to install the ss brewtech heating pad for conicals on a spike 14gal if the heating pad would fit the spike. I dont know why another company doesn't make a conical shaped heating element(seems like three different sizes would sell all day)i know that there are other conicals to consider.....BUT for the price /quality/and options.....those are the 2 i was thinking of......what are your guy's thoughts

Ive came to the conclusion that i dont want to clean carboys more than i have to and have also come to the conclusion that my restraint for wanting to put out for a conical is outweighed by that......i have been looking at the ss brewtech because of the clean temp controll and the price.....but looking at the spike 14gal coming out makes me want to hold off.....havent owned any spike steel.....but hear the steel on the spike is of a thicker grade and i like the seemless welds inside the spike for cleaning.....just thought i would ask you guys your thoughts as i am still on the newby side of brewing....plus it sounds like spike keeps pushing back the release date(now april) and i dont want to hold off just to be forced to hold off more....ideally I think id like to install the ss brewtech heating pad for conicals on a spike 14gal if the heating pad would fit the spike. I dont know why another company doesn't make a conical shaped heating element(seems like three different sizes would sell all day)i know that there are other conicals to consider.....BUT for the price /quality/and options.....those are the 2 i was thinking of......what are your guy's thoughts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3-Gal-Con...024603?hash=item33c7c6c4db:g:~GQAAOSwhMpT0JNO
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5G-Conic...030375?hash=item33c7c6db67:g:YhEAAOSwcBhWWI3m

I have the 12.5 gallon version. The stainless is a much thicker gauge than SS brewing uses and its all highly polished for easier cleanup. there are no weldless fittings of threads in the fermenter, its completely sanitary with polished seamless welds. Ive been using mine for 4 years now and have had no issues... As far as temp control.this cooling jacket fits the diameter of the tank perfectly.
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html
I use a heat strip wrapped under that for heat and an stc1000 to control which comes on (heat or glycol coolant from my chiller.)

I have three moonshine distiller version, looks identical to stout. Leaks at 1 or less psi. I do pressurized transfer though. Just ordered a LP regulator to see if that is low enough psi to cold crash with co2 and not leak

I have three moonshine distiller version, looks identical to stout. Leaks at 1 or less psi. I do pressurized transfer though. Just ordered a LP regulator to see if that is low enough psi to cold crash with co2 and not leak

curious, whats the thickness of your lid? I have a cheap stout clone knockoff as well as my stout and even though the lids are the same diameter the stout lid is twice as thick as the knockoffs... I thought of trying the moonshine distillers conical myself but these kind of things make me wonder.

I also really crank the wingnut down on my lid so theres a lot of pressure preventing the lid from leaking.

curious, whats the thickness of your lid? I have a cheap stout clone knockoff as well as my stout and even though the lids are the same diameter the stout lid is twice as thick as the knockoffs... I thought of trying the moonshine distillers conical myself but these kind of things make me wonder.

I also really crank the wingnut down on my lid so theres a lot of pressure preventing the lid from leaking.

Lids feels thick, can't compare to stout. I crank it down to, will try more next time

Anyone else think the spike new conicals are worth waiting for?am i tiny bit hesitant to purshase the 1st batch with no reports available!

It is always a gamble buying something newly developed sight unseen, I would look at the company in general and between what they have shown and their track record on their other products.

The companies level of customer service would be important too. Are they gonna take care of you if the butterfly valves leak? etc.

All important to consider. Or you could wait a few months after release when you get a sense of the product through reviews

And hopefully the delay after delay has been because they are ironing out the wrinkles before any paying customer has their hands on one. Which is both irritating to people waiting to buy and smart for them. A bad launch of a product can ruin a company

Has anyone heard when Spikes 7 gal conical will be available, and will it have a temp control option?

I can second Augiedoggy. I've had the Stout 12.5 for several years and it's very nice. I pressure transfer all the time without issue. That said, I just bought 3 Spike kettles for my new set up and while I have not brewed on them, they are very heavy duty. The company has also been good to work with.

Latest posts

Back