Confused by Burner Choices - Looking for Versatile Option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
I am in process of putting together the plan for a single tier Brutus type system. Initially, it is going to be all manually controlled (budgetary constraints), but I would like to reserve the option to automate the HLT & MLT.

Currently I am using a ghetto (by HBT Standards) gravity system with a pair of SQ-14 burners. I have not had any problems with these, and am leaning towards using 3 of the BG-12 (same burner as the SQ-14, less the stand/regulator) burners split off of a single 160,000 BTU, 10 PSI Regulator, with individual needle valves for each burner. I like these for several reasons. First: easy to mount, just a single machine screw for each, which I consider to be a huge benefit from a fabrication standpoint. Also, very inexpensive up front, I can get everything I need for around $100.00. My only fear is the complexity to automate when I get to that point.

Alternately, I have considered the larger BG-14 burners (or Hurricane equivalent) running on low pressure (11" WC) propane. While I don't mind going this route if it ultimately makes automating less expensive, I would prefer to stay with the BG-12's on 10PSI propane for the inexpensive up front cost, and ease of mounting.

One thing you might want to consider: if you're inclined to be "safe and sane" and use gas valves that the manufacturer approves for high pressure gas, the cost of automation can be multiple times that of a low pressure (11" WC) system.

Otoh, if you're adventurous, there are lots of comparatively cheap high pressure valves on eBay that folks have used and not immolated themselves.

So, imo, the conservative, forward-looking approach would be to go with the BG14s now to give you flexibility to make a cost-based decision later. If you go with the BG12s you're pretty much stuck with high pressure gas solutions...

Cheers!

One other alternate I completely forgot about, low pressure 23 tip burners. It appears that they just mount in the pipe that feeds them. They appear to be easy to mount and relatively inexpensive. I just don't see much info on them.

One other alternate I completely forgot about, low pressure 23 tip burners. It appears that they just mount in the pipe that feeds them. They appear to be easy to mount and relatively inexpensive. I just don't see much info on them.

One down-side to that type of burner is if you want to change from high pressure to low pressure or vice versa you have to replace all of those burner tips...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
One down-side to that type of burner is if you want to change from high pressure to low pressure or vice versa you have to replace all of those burner tips...

Cheers!

Any idea how bad they are to adjust on the fly? I'm not overly concerned with the HLT, but I would definitely need good control of the mash burner. Also, how do you control them, just a ball valve inline?

Any idea how bad they are to adjust on the fly? I'm not overly concerned with the HLT, but I would definitely need good control of the mash burner. Also, how do you control them, just a ball valve inline?

Sorry, no first-hand knowledge (I use BG14s), but I would expect you control them the same way: with a ball valve or needle valve (preferably the latter)...

Cheers!

I use BG12's for mostly 5 gal batches. but also 10 gals. I run them with an adjustable high pressure regulator, as well as needle vavles at each burner. They work very nicely, but if time is an issue for you during your brew day, the heat output is much lower than the BG14s. It takes about an hour to get 75F water to a boil. In normal brewing circumstances, its not that bad. Heat mash water up in 25 mins, and then bring the BK to boil in another 25 mins.

I hear of people halving these times with the BG14s, but don't have experience.

Another consideration is that since they are a lower heat output, they are practical for direct firing a mash. They are much more adjustable than the BG14s, and can be controlled or blasted at will.

sarsnik said:
I use BG12's for mostly 5 gal batches. but also 10 gals. I run them with an adjustable high pressure regulator, as well as needle vavles at each burner. They work very nicely, but if time is an issue for you during your brew day, the heat output is much lower than the BG14s. It takes about an hour to get 75F water to a boil. In normal brewing circumstances, its not that bad. Heat mash water up in 25 mins, and then bring the BK to boil in another 25 mins.

I hear of people halving these times with the BG14s, but don't have experience.

Another consideration is that since they are a lower heat output, they are practical for direct firing a mash. They are much more adjustable than the BG14s, and can be controlled or blasted at will.

My understanding on the BG-14's is that you can set them up on low pressure lp or high pressure. On low pressure the specs appear to be nearly identical to the specs of a BG-12 running on high pressure (just under 60,000 btu). On high pressure they can put out 210,000 btu.

Based on my boil times with my current BG-12 I am completely satisfied with the times, and more concerned with the ability to automate the burners in the future.

My understanding on the BG-14's is that you can set them up on low pressure lp or high pressure. On low pressure the specs appear to be nearly identical to the specs of a BG-12 running on high pressure (just under 60,000 btu). On high pressure they can put out 210,000 btu.

Based on my boil times with my current BG-12 I am completely satisfied with the times, and more concerned with the ability to automate the burners in the future.

Out of curiosity, how do your boil times compare with those that I posted? How far are your burners from the bottom of the kettles? I haven't installed wind shields, so that might improve the times..

sarsnik said:
Out of curiosity, how do your boil times compare with those that I posted? How far are your burners from the bottom of the kettles? I haven't installed wind shields, so that might improve the times..

Generally I can be at a boil in 20 min or so, and preheat mash water in 25 min. Not sure on the spacing, I am using the model SQ-14 stand burner which uses the BG-12 burner.

Latest posts

Back