Confused about Pilsener?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eharris8310

Reaction score
I brewed up a pilsener (Propensity Pilsener Lager from Papazian's book) on 2/20/11. I fermented in the house for 3 days because I misunderstood directions on yeast vial and then moved to 52* garage. When airlock bubbling was once every 2 minutes or so I transfered to secondary and dryhopped per instructions and then into refrigerator at 38* on 2/26. Pulled out of fridge and put in garage this morning in anticipation of bottling tomorrow. Just walked by and it is bubbling away every 30 seconds or so again. I thought it would be done fermenting already, did I do something wrong or is this to be expected as it warms back up a bit? Should I move into the house to warm up further prior to priming and bottling tomorrow?

To be honest I didn't check the gravity reading. I have been having trouble getting a good reading on it so I just waited for the bubbling to slow way down. I thought that was also a valid way to tell if fermentation was done. What do I do now?

It's done. The bubbling is CO2 coming out of solution because you've raised the temp. Let it sit at room temp for a full day or two, then bottle.

Bottles will condition best at temps above 70F. In a week or two, crack the first one and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back