Confirmation needed - should I throw the beer away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maenad

Reaction score
I had a coopers IPA kit and started it three weeks ago. Standard beer kit and I've made beer once before with this equipment, so it should be fine.
I did three things differently from the instructions. First, I used 19 litres of water instead of 23. Secondly, I tossed in a teaspoonful of yeast energizer. Lastly, the kit said to dry-pitch the yeast, but I decided to start the yeast in water to be sure it was live. (It'd been stored in rather too warm conditions). It bubbled satisfactorily, so I pitched it.
I got a little fermentation for a few days and then it stopped. I added some bread yeast. That didn't create any fermentation. The airlock then stayed dead for two weeks.
There's some gunk on the carboy above the beer line. Not sure when that appeared.
I opened it this morning and it smelled fine - not "off". There was some stuff floating on the top and it looked exactly like dead yeast. The SG is 1.08 right now. I didn't measure the SG at the start because it was a beer kit - I assumed it didn't matter.
I guess I somehow contaminated the yeast and it won't move now.
Should I throw it away?
Thanks!

Can you be more precise than "a few days"?

If the gunk above the beer line is medium-brown in color, it should be fine. It's probably braune hefe, which is better to have on the sides than in the beer. I wouldn't have added the bread yeast, but it might still be OK. Is the current gravity (not SG - that's the starting gravity) 1.08 or 1.008? 1.008 would mean it's about done fermenting.

None of the changes you made should have adverse reactions on the end product. My guess is it's drinkable, or will be.

The gunk is brown and the SG is definitely 1.08. I don't think it's started fermenting yet. (I drank a half pint on an empty stomach and couldn't taste any alcohol!)

So I should just leave it?

Note: in my country beer yeast isn't available. I have access to bread yeast and I have wine yeast too: ec-1118 and 71b-1122.

Thanks so much!

Tough call. Normally, you could just repitch some beer yeast, but I don't think bread yeast would work with malt extract. Wine yeast definitely won't. Maybe try to get some ale yeast online?

I don't know if that wort is still safe, either. If it's been sitting that long and hasn't fermented... but you drank some and felt fine? Hmm. When you take the airlock, off, take a big whiff. It should be easy to tell whether there's alcohol in there. If there is, you'll feel it in your nose and lungs.

Good luck. And interesting timing on your thread... I had just decided to name my current beer "Şerefale".

And wait for more advice before you do anything. I could be mistaken.

The gunk is brown and the SG is definitely 1.08. I don't think it's started fermenting yet. (I drank a half pint on an empty stomach and couldn't taste any alcohol!)

Did you ever check the gravity or just a 1/2 pint buzz test? The only true way to determine fermentation status is to check a gravity with a hydrometer...

Honestly, from what you described it sounds like you had fermentation:
I got a little fermentation for a few days and then it stopped
Yeast can be quick, a few days sometimes...
There's some gunk on the carboy above the beer line.
Usually indicated a krausen, which is a healthy sign of fermentation.

Again, only true way to know is to take a gravity reading...

The gunk is brown and the SG is definitely 1.08. I don't think it's started fermenting yet. ()

So I should just leave it?

Note: in my country beer yeast isn't available. I have access to bread yeast and I have wine yeast too: ec-1118 and 71b-1122.

Thanks so much!

Read your hydrometer again. A Coopers kit does not contain enough malt extract to get a hydrometer reading of 1.08 even before fermentation started and even with the reduced water.

I got a little fermentation for a few days and then it stopped. I added some bread yeast. That didn't create any fermentation. The airlock then stayed dead for two weeks.

Active fermentation normally only lasts for 2 to 3 days, then the excess CO2 produced makes the airlock bubble a few more as it escapes the beer.

There's some gunk on the carboy above the beer line. Not sure when that appeared.

That gunk is dried krausen, a sure sign that fermentation occurred.

I drank a half pint on an empty stomach and couldn't taste any alcohol!

Cooper's kits don't produce a high alcohol beer so drinking half a pint doesn't tell you much. I think your beer has done fine and is ready to bottle. It isn't a beer to drink to get drunk but a beer to enjoy the flavor from.

Latest posts

Back