Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish91001

Professional Amateur Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to step up my game with aged beers. two questions:

1. When it comes to conditioning beers bigger beers, is the proper method to leave the unfermented beer in a secondary and store in a 45-55 degree "cellar" chamber for the appropriate amount of time to condition and then bottle and carbonate afterwards? Or should I prime and bottle and then let it age in a "cellar" chamber?

2. What's the best way to condition a big IPA? Freshness and aging seem to be counter opposing.

2. In the keg or in the bottle, whichever you prefer, just drink it as soon as it's carbonated. IPAs (and almost every other beer style) should be consumed fresh.

Most big beers will develop more complex character with age. Bulk aging has the advantage of improving consistency and some say makes an overall better product. My preference is to bulk age in a secondary vessel for an extended time. Then keg, carbonate and bottle from the keg before cellaring the bottles.

What biestie says applies to American IPA's, but not English IPA's or most other big beers.

Things also age at fridge temps, just slower. I think I prefer that type of aging. A stout I just finished off developed well just sitting in the keg in the fridge.

Back