Conditioning in the primary bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felipefranco

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an english pale ale in the primary fermenter for 12 days now and I was planning to bottle it this weeked.
The problem is that I let some turn gete into the bucket and I am afraid my beer gets a little hazzy.
I've been getting some examples of it and it's been with a lot of particles.
But the one I got today was OK. A just a very little amount of yeast. 2 little bals (the valve is realy close to the bottom of the bucket). And it looks realy good.
I don't have another bucket or carboy to drop the temp and let it conditioning for another week to make it a little less hazzy.
I'm not gonna use the valve to get the beer off the buket. I use an auto symphony and I think I can manage to transfer it without getting the turb out.
Do you thing I should let it conditioning in the same bucket for another week or can I bottle it right away?

Thanks in advance!
(sorry about my english, I'm from Brazil)

Leave it in primary till it tests at Fg with your hydrometer. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. This usually takes about three weeks. The trub/yeast layers at the bottom of primary usually settle out lower by this time. The spigot should be clear by then.
By the way,if you bought this as a complete kit,the bucket with spigot is usually the bottling bucket.

Thanks for the reply.
Acctualy, I have another bucket, but is a little big and it would have a lot of oxygen inside. I only use it for bottling.
The beer is at the expected FG already.
My doubt is if I can drop down the temp and let it conditioning in the same bucket. With the yeast and turb in the bottom.
I heard it's not ok to do this, but ,since I've let it for only two weeks and want to leave it there for just another week, would that be a problem?
And is that worth it to do this?

Thanks for the reply.
Acctualy, I have another bucket, but is a little big and it would have a lot of oxygen inside. I only use it for bottling.
The beer is at the expected FG already.
My doubt is if I can drop down the temp and let it conditioning in the same bucket. With the yeast and turb in the bottom.
I heard it's not ok to do this, but ,since I've let it for only two weeks and want to leave it there for just another week, would that be a problem?
And is that worth it to do this?

I've left a beer in primary for two months and racked to my bottling bucket with no trouble at all. You want to leave your beer on the yeast for at least 2-3 weeks though to clear up any fermentation byproducts.

1) There is no harm in letting it sit.
2) Your "expected FG" and the "actual FG" are two different things. The problem is that the yeast can't read the instructions, and don't know what you expect, nor do they care. You have to trust the yeasties.
3) No matter what you do, you will not get beer that is as clear as commercial beers are. But, yours will be better in other ways. Clarity is one of those things I just don't worry about too much (of course, I like it when I get it!).

Cheers!

If it is 12 days old, and the SG does not change by this weekend, it's fine to bottle it.

However, no harm will come if you wait another week either. If the beer is not clear, you may wish to wait a little longer.

Listen to her^^^! it's def a bonus to let the beer hit FG in primary,then give it another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before racking onto priming solution in the bottling bucket. Clear beer tastes better.

Thanks a lot!!!
I think I'll definetly wait another week.
And what about droping down the temperature? Would that be better than just leave it in the same temperature it fermented?

By the time it's done fermenting & you're giving it the time to clean & clear up,The temp will be a lil bit lower than during initial fermentation. some cold crash,I don't with AE. With partial mash BIAB,I'll start using super moss so I don't have to wait as long to clear it from the fine grain crush.

Still don't know if I should leave it in fermenting temperature or chill it to the 40's F...
What do you recommend me?

Just leave it at whatever temp it was fermenting at for a few weeks then bottle or keg.

Back