Conditioning environment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex4mula

Reaction score
I brew this coffee porter beer two months ago which came out as one of my bests (15 brews). I added coffee to it (glass carboy) at about 10 days (stayed there until end), then put to cold crash (carboy in freezer) for about 5 days and then kegged/force carbed in one day. Total time 27 days. So it spent about 21 days in primary (and only) before cold crash & keg.
Now I brewed it for a second time but I am traveling. This one it is today at day 13. I'll leave next Thursday and won't be back until July 22nd. I have three options:
1- Leave it in carboy and just cold crash and keg when I return
2- Put carboy in cold crash freezer at day 17 before I leave and keg/carb when I return
3- Keg and put in cold crash freezer at day 17 before I leave carb when I return
4- Cold crash 3 days at day 14 and keg/carb and just leave in my keezer before I leave

So which option would you think would be better and why for the final conditioning of this porter? I'm inclined for option 1 or 2. Would option 4 make a big difference for the bad (being carbed)? Thanks.

I brew this coffee porter beer two months ago which came out as one of my bests (15 brews). I added coffee to it (glass carboy) at about 10 days (stayed there until end), then put to cold crash (carboy in freezer) for about 5 days and then kegged/force carbed in one day. Total time 27 days. So it spent about 21 days in primary (and only) before cold crash & keg.
Now I brewed it for a second time but I am traveling. This one it is today at day 13. I'll leave next Thursday and won't be back until July 22nd. I have three options:
1- Leave it in carboy and just cold crash and keg when I return
2- Put carboy in cold crash freezer at day 17 before I leave and keg/carb when I return
3- Keg and put in cold crash freezer at day 17 before I leave carb when I return
4- Cold crash 3 days at day 14 and keg/carb and just leave in my keezer before I leave

So which option would you think would be better and why for the final conditioning of this porter? I'm inclined for option 1 or 2. Would option 4 make a big difference for the bad (being carbed)? Thanks.
If it's reached final gravity I think any of them would be ok. I've left beer in the fermenter at room temp up to 2 months. I don't recommend it but it can be done. If at FG I personally would keg and carb. It will settle out (cold crash) in the keg. The first pour may have some of what settled out but the next will be fine. I crash in the keg all the time. Saves time and an extra step. The only time I don't is when I have a lot of trub and I want it more compacted. Then crashing in the fermenter may save me a half gallon of beer. Otherwise I just crash in the keg. Good luck. Have a safe trip. Let us know what you decided and how it turned out.

Although 6 weeks on yeast should not be a problem, but 3 month could, there's another option. It will get the beer off the yeast sooner, and will be protected by CO2:

5- Rack to keg and let condition at room temps while away. When you return, chill, jump to a new keg, blowing sludge out first, and leaving sludge behind. (Force) carb and enjoy.

To prevent oxidation, always 100% liquid pre-purge kegs and fill through liquid out post. Lid remains on.

Any of those options work. You really should age that beer a couple months anyway.

For me I would to option 4 but plan on drinking in late August or September.

Thanks for the responses. Will cold crashing slow conditioning? Assuming I do it in carboy. I usually cold crash at 33-34F.

Thanks for the responses. Will cold crashing slow conditioning? Assuming I do it in carboy. I usually cold crash at 33-34F.
Absolutely! More of the yeast that's still in suspension, the ones that do the conditioning work, will flock out. Yeast's that's gone dormant, lying on the bottom, is inactive.

Absolutely! More of the yeast that's still in suspension, the ones that do the conditioning work, will flock out. Yeast's that's gone dormant, lying on the bottom, is inactive.

I've only cold crashed a couple of times. But there is way more than enough yeast to condition the beer. I haven't noticed any difference in bottle conditioning a cold crashed beer. Fully carbonated in the normal 3 weeks at room temperature.

The OP says he will be kegging the beer so I don't see where conditioning comes into play. There is no further need for yeast.

The OP says he will be kegging the beer so I don't see where conditioning comes into play. There is no further need for yeast.
I meant "conditioning" in the broader sense, the general cleanup, that what turns green beer into better beer, during the 2-3 weeks after the main "active" fermentation has ceased. Cold crashing interrupts that process, and if kept cold it will never resume. Bottle conditioning along with carbonating does that, but is spurred on through that small secondary fermentation.

Thanks all. I will leave it in the carboy until I return. Then I will cold crash and carbonate.

Latest posts

Back