Conditioning bottles with CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't see the purpose. Also, if you are bottling, you probably don't have CO2 and a means to dispense it handy.

I guess I was thinking about the fact that co2 is heavier than air and therefore will displace any air in the bottles helping avoid the potential contamination by air.

It would not
Take much to set it up

you mean purging the bottles with co2? Yes, if you are bottling from a keg it is best to get all the air out.

When you fill bottles,you fill them right to the top which would push out any o2 or co2 you put in there. When you pull out the wand you get the perfect headspace and maybe just a bit of new air in there, but I don't think there is anything you can do about that.

When you fill bottles,you fill them right to the top which would push out any o2 or co2 you put in there. When you pull out the wand you get the perfect headspace and maybe just a bit of new air in there, but I don't think there is anything you can do about that.

Which does suck an (albeit negligible) amount of air back in. What I do to "purge" bottles when filling from a bottling wand is place the caps loosely on the bottles. Let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes before crimping the caps to allow the dissolved C02 from fermentation will come out of solution an fill that headspace.

Latest posts

Back