Conditioning Ales at lower temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadGrady

Reaction score
I just bottled the mash extract recipe I made using Muntons Premium Gold Smugglers Ale. So far, so good.

I have a room where it's 20-21 degrees, but what are the consequences of letting the ale condition at a lower temp? Its just easier for me to stock them in the basement. Time really isn't an issue now I have a solid pipeline on hand.

I guess the meat of the question is, will it cause off tastes or degrade the beer to condition it at 17-18 degrees?

I pitched using the muntons gold ale yeast.

After bottling, my beer sits in my basement, usually at around 65-68 degrees. This usually still results in well carbed beer within the standard 2-3 week timeline. Comparing with a few bottles that I've kept upstairs (warmer) the cooler temps do seem to slow the carbing a bit, but the small (approx 5 degree) change in temps made very little in my (admittedly limited) testing.

Latest posts

Back