Condenser lid hooked up to a exhaus fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen lots of great threads for the condenser style of lids, but i was starting to wonder. Has anyone done a version where instead of a condenser the lid just direct hooks to an exhaust fan?

Last edited:
I saw a set up that had a large bowl with the center cut out and 4" duct and on the exit end he just put a reducer into a table fan sitting on the open window ledge. The bowl fit rite on top of the BK, only about 5' of duct.

I have seen lots of great threads for the condenser style of lids, but i was starting to wonder. Has anyone done a version where instead of a condenser the lid just direct hooks to an exhaust fan?
Yes. When I was first building up my electric keggle I was planning for a steam-condenser so after some emails with SSBrewtech to confirm the dimensions I bought the domed 7/14G Brewbucket lid with a 1.5"TC port in the top. Owing to limited finances and disability, it takes me a very long time to do anything so it was gonna be a while before I got the condenser.. I searched here and read through a number of posts (and as well have seen more since) where the poster had used a flexible duct attached to a fan in the window so I tried it myself. As with the posters, I found the amount of condensation to be problematic. I had finagled an adapter from the 1.5" TC to a clothes-dryer sized duct and clipped the other end to a fan in my kitchen window and when I tried it out, it worked for the most part but the wind kept changing direction so the amount of steam 'leaking' into the kitchen varied quite a lot. I had to take it off about 3/4 into the boil because the duct started sagging under the wieght of the condensate filling it and threatened to pull the fan out of the window. That said; a 1.5" port is probably far too small for that kind of ventilation. Most of the posters had come on here looking for solutions to condensate dripping back into the kettle and I know that some solved it and there are a number of folk sucessfully using such a rig, so yes it is doable once you work out the kinks in your own setup.
I've seen the pics of your enviable brewing area in another thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/large-equipment-where-does-it-live.728783/page-2#post-10341469 and notice you have a nice hood with a beefy exhaust fan, so I must ask; Is this inadequate or has something changed?
:mug:

One thing to consider is the air you exhaust has to be replaced with outside air and where that air comes from. Window? Exhaust fans in bathrooms or kitchen? Water heater or furnace gas flue?

I am always looking to improve. I recently replaced the exhast fan and am having condensation issues with the new fan. I also would like a little more open feel the brewery. I wondered if by attaching the fan to the condensation lid, leaving the bottom where the water drips out open, if I can create an adequate vacuum to pull the steam, and have any condensation drip out. The difference in fan was the previous fan was 449 cm, the new one is 402. I belive the real issue with the updated fan is that the pipe to the fan goes 6inch to 5 inch back to 6, cutting the condensation. In the old fan the piping remained 6 inches.

Last edited:
Back