Condensation in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saabmike

Reaction score
Hello all I’m a noob here only my second post. I’m about 24 days In to my first batch and I’ve noticed a good amount of condinsation in side the primary? I have a homemade chamber (foam insulation and heating pad) set to ~67 plus or minus 2. I’m just curious because I’ve seen pictures of other people’s batches and they look to be some what dry.

Thank you for all your help/ responses in advance!!

Thanks for the positive reply Maylar! Idk what I was thinking your mind always goes to the worse possible outcome lol!

24 days and still in primary seems like a long time to me. It might be time to consider racking that cider.

Thank you for your response ebbelwoi! Is there a benefit to “racking” the recipe I have doesn’t say anything about racking just waiting til it clears then back sweeten and bottle it. And the cider still hasn’t cleared yet.

When I'm sure primary fermentation has ended, I rack, cold crash, then rack again. It removes most of the yeast from the cider, and that seems to help the cider clear. The speed and degree depend on the yeast, though.

I only do a second racking if it doesn’t clear or I age it in a barrel. But I guess I always rack again transferring to the keg.

Thank you for your response ebbelwoi! Is there a benefit to “racking” the recipe I have doesn’t say anything about racking just waiting til it clears then back sweeten and bottle it. And the cider still hasn’t cleared yet.

It's a judgement call / personal choice whether to rack or not. People who like to age their ciders for months typically do, people who want to drink it right away usually don't.

Did the recipe call for using pectic enzyme (Pectinase) to help the cider clear?

I use a combination of racking and cold crashing in order to clear the cider. Then I drink it. I only age it accidentally, if I don't get around to drinking it.

Thanks for all the responses and yes I used pectic enzyme to clear it! I guess I’ll wait a bit longer and maybe get another fermentor to rack

Just as a point of reference, this is my 2016 cider after racking to secondary. The ferment had slowed a bit but was still active -

31048881711_a225295b83_z.jpg

And after sitting for another 3 weeks, cleared nicely. I always use pectic enzyme.

31520171726_2559fcde5e_z.jpg

Saabmike,
I get condensation in my fermenter once and awhile too. I use a glass fermenter and the basement is between 18-20cel. If you see condensation on the inside then the liquid is warmer then the outside of the bottle and "sweats" inside until the fermenting is done (heat is made during this process) and the temps become equal to the ambient temp in the room you will get this happening. Not to worry about it as it came from the liquid inside and it will go back to the liquid it came from.

I get this level of clarity by racking and cold crashing, without pectic enzyme, but then again, I start with clear juice.

IMG_20181123_100156984.jpg

Latest posts

Back