Concocting a Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnzy02

Reaction score
So i'm still doing extract brews. I am trying to do 2 batches/month for the year. One being a kit recipe, the other a recipe of my own.

I'm trying to get a barleywine brewed withing the next couple weeks, plan is to primary for a month or so and then hide the bottles from myself until next january/february.

Here is what i've come up with so far, i'd love to have some critiques and suggestions. Calculations come via Brewpal software on iPhone.

OG: 1.102
FG: 1.023
ABV: 10.4%
IBU: 67

Specialty Grains:
.4 lb Roasted Barley
.4 lb Flaked Oats
.8 lb Biscuit Malt

Extract:

7 lb Light DME
4 lb Amber DME

Hop Schedule:

2 oz Simcoe - 60
2 oz Fuggle - 15
2 oz Cascade - 0

Yeast -
US-05

Ahhh... brewpal. I LOVE that app. Use it exclusively for all my recipe formulations and tracking stuff.

So, I'm not an extract brewer, so I may have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. But - that looks like it may be a bit heavy on the hops. I'm surprised the IBU clocked in that low. I just made a 5 gal batch of the dogfish head 90 minute IPA, and I had 90+ IBUs with only a little over 3oz, and you've got 6+ oz.

My only critique is that you need more yeast for a beer that big. Either use two packets for the US-05 and make sure you properly rehydrate them, or use liquid yeast and make a big ass starter. Personally that's what I would do. There's a link in my signature to help you with starters if you need it.

@xeero, i am actually getting conflicting IBU counts. I plugged it into Tastybrew, and got something like 137 IBUs. So yeah, something is going on. The last 2 oz addition at flameout doesn't add anything to the bitterness. I'm ultimately debating on whether to add them at flameout or wait and dryhop with the Cascade.

I also think i'm gonna have to switch out the Simcoe for something else, as Austin HBS is out of them until April. Either way, I'm trying to target it for around 65-75 IBU.

@Billy, I definitely intended on using at the least two packs of US-05. I've never made a starter before, but this would definitely be the beer to consider making my first one for. If i go that route, i'll definitely check out your link!

For what it's worth, it's probably cheaper to buy an extra packet of dry yeast over making a starter. I would suggest probably 2-3 11g packets. If you check the yeast thing in brewpal it'll suggest the right number.

I'm not really an extract brewer, but I have dabbled a bit. Here are a few thoughts to ponder.

Assuming you are doing 5-gallon batch.

+ Biscuit & flaked oats need to be mashed, and do not have enough enzymes to do it on their own. Perhaps swap 1# of DME for 1# of 6-row pale malt. Keep all the grains at 150-152-F for 45 minutes.

+ This beer will have plenty of body & residual sweetness using US-05... so perhaps you don't really need the flaked oats for body & mouthfeel??

+ Are you boiling the whole batch to get down to the 5 gallons? Or are you boiling only half the volume & adding water afters? That will change your hop utilization. Beersmith has a full boil with those hops at 75 IBU (w/ the 1# Pale Malt swapped in for 1# of Amber)

+ Fermenting such a high OG beer has its challenges. You really want to aerate your wort well! If you have O2 with a diffusion stone, great! Otherwise, plan on lots of sloshing & frothing. Those yeasties will need a lot of O2 to replicate & grow in such a harsh enviornment. Stressed yeast will give off more off-flavors. So help them out anyway & everyway you can.

+ Rehydrate your yeast, and use 3 packets. This is a big beer. Pitch at 75-80-F, and let things get kicking for a few hours. Then lower the beer temp to desired fermentation temp.

+ Keep the fermentation in the proper temp range. If temps get over 70-F, you may start to get some off flavors, and with that much sugar... more & more of them. If you don't have ferm. chillers or controls, wrap the carboy in a wet towel, and keep in a cool place, etc.

+ I'd let it sit in primary for 3-4 weeks. It will take a while for everything to ferment out, and you will want extra time for the yeasties to clean up all the byproducts.

Looking really tasty! Good luck!
:mug:
--LexusChris

I'm not really an extract brewer, but I have dabbled a bit. Here are a few thoughts to ponder.

Assuming you are doing 5-gallon batch.

+ Biscuit & flaked oats need to be mashed, and do not have enough enzymes to do it on their own. Perhaps swap 1# of DME for 1# of 6-row pale malt. Keep all the grains at 150-152-F for 45 minutes.

So if i ended up doing this, would i need to sparge the grains after the 45? Would this be considered partial mash?

+ This beer will have plenty of body & residual sweetness using US-05... so perhaps you don't really need the flaked oats for body & mouthfeel??

I'm don't really have my heart set on adding the oat, just from reading styple descriptions and such i thought it might be a decent addition.

+ Are you boiling the whole batch to get down to the 5 gallons? Or are you boiling only half the volume & adding water afters? That will change your hop utilization. Beersmith has a full boil with those hops at 75 IBU (w/ the 1# Pale Malt swapped in for 1# of Amber)

I usually boil about 4.5 gallons, lose .5 during boil. So i do end up topping off with about a gallon or so after the boil.

+ Fermenting such a high OG beer has its challenges. You really want to aerate your wort well! If you have O2 with a diffusion stone, great! Otherwise, plan on lots of sloshing & frothing. Those yeasties will need a lot of O2 to replicate & grow in such a harsh enviornment. Stressed yeast will give off more off-flavors. So help them out anyway & everyway you can.

No diffusion stone at this point, but i am aware it needs to aerate very well and to be sure to pitch enough to avoid a stalled ferment.

+ Rehydrate your yeast, and use 3 packets. This is a big beer. Pitch at 75-80-F, and let things get kicking for a few hours. Then lower the beer temp to desired fermentation temp.

I was planning on pitching 3-4 packets, was leaning towards three.

+ Keep the fermentation in the proper temp range. If temps get over 70-F, you may start to get some off flavors, and with that much sugar... more & more of them. If you don't have ferm. chillers or controls, wrap the carboy in a wet towel, and keep in a cool place, etc.

Yeah, this is something i want to do a better job of. My last batch, i think the temperature fluctuated a bit too much during the ferment and it tasteds a little bit off. Not bad, but definitely a bit off.

+ I'd let it sit in primary for 3-4 weeks. It will take a while for everything to ferment out, and you will want extra time for the yeasties to clean up all the byproducts.

I'm planning on keeping in primary from anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Mostly so i can figure out what i want to do with it from there. I'm debating between buying a keg to drop into after primary, so that i won't be tempted to drink it all, while also then motivating myself to save up the money and get a kegerator built for next year. Or i'm just gonna bottle it in all 22s

Looking really tasty! Good luck!
:mug:
--LexusChris

Looking forward to making this a whole lot, Barleywines are easily one of my favorite styles of beer. Appreciate the detailed suggestions and feedback!:D

Latest posts

Back